Looking for input

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The 2002 Jeep Wrangler I purchased last June has two issues. Neither of which has impacted it's usability but I wanted to post here to get input on how soon I need to plan on fixing these issues.

1. There is a rumbling sound from the transmission whenever it is out of gear and the clutch is not depressed. I am assuming that this is the throwout bearing. What should I worry about if it fails before I get around to it and how hard is it to replace on this jeep. Also, when I do replace it, should I consider a hydraulic clutch or any other upgrade while I am in there?

2. The front left wheel has a popping sound every once in a while when turning. When in 4wd this winter, the driveline would bind when turning and almost stall the engine. I am assuming this is just a CV joint. Anything I need to worry about or consider while replacing it. Maybe a better version of the CV joint or even take this time to upgrade other components while I have it broke down.

Also, one last thing. Are either of these issues something that I need to address before putting it on the trail? I don't want to be stranded.

Thanks for you input.

A throwout bearing is only spinning when you have the clutch depressed. I'd check the fluid in the tranny to make sure its full. The last rumbling from my transmission was a bad bearing in my transfer case that decided to blow one day when I was pulling the boat out at the boat ramp. I think its normal for the driveline to bind on pavement when its in 4wd, however the popping noise could be a CV joint going bad. I'm assuming the truck doesn't have auto locking hubs as those can pop/ratchet sometimes e.g. 1995 Isuzu trooper (not sure of 2002 jeep tech. I'm a rover guy but these are my best guesses.)

--Justin

The 2002 Jeep Wrangler I purchased last June has two issues. Neither of which has impacted it's usability but I wanted to post here to get input on how soon I need to plan on fixing these issues.

1. There is a rumbling sound from the transmission whenever it is out of gear and the clutch is not depressed. I am assuming that this is the throwout bearing. What should I worry about if it fails before I get around to it and how hard is it to replace on this jeep. Also, when I do replace it, should I consider a hydraulic clutch or any other upgrade while I am in there?

2. The front left wheel has a popping sound every once in a while when turning. When in 4wd this winter, the driveline would bind when turning and almost stall the engine. I am assuming this is just a CV joint. Anything I need to worry about or consider while replacing it. Maybe a better version of the CV joint or even take this time to upgrade other components while I have it broke down.

Also, one last thing. Are either of these issues something that I need to address before putting it on the trail? I don't want to be stranded.

Thanks for you input.

your jeep being an 02, the trannys in those sounds like it has marbles in it when in neutral. Thats normal. Wouldn't hurt to change your fluid, but that is a normal sound from the nv3500.

The popping your getting could be a ujoint if it is causing a binding when in 4wd. Your TJ has ujoints not CVs at each tire on the front axle.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Thanks for the advise. I'm not so worried about the transmission anymore. It doesn't show any signs of having issues except that sound, and the sound isn't bad. The "U-Joints" up front can be replaced pretty easy and I'll take care of that. Now for another couple issues I found today when I laid up under the front. Let me know what you think.

First: The bottom of the oil pan appears to be caved in. So much for my theory on this rig not being off-road very much. And judging by the patch in the exhaust, it must have been smashed also. Anyone think this is anything that needs fixed? Also, fixed or not, can anyone recommend some protection to keep this from happening in the future?

Second: The placement of the stock steering pump (right under the front bumper) seems to be in a prime location to be ripped off or damaged. What is the recommended remedy for this or am I just imagining things?

Please don't hold back on the advise. I haven't been off-road in any serious capacity in 20 years and even then, not a hole lot in a jeep. So anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

my oil pan has a similar dent from a rock garden at tellico, but Yours seems to be somebody tried to jack it up by the oil pan from the marks on it. i could be wrong. I dont think it will hinder anything, I'm not sure why the exhaust was modified there.

The stock stearing box does hang down and the easiest thing to do is just put a skid on it. They can be had for $25-50 depending on where you get them. http://www.quadratec.com/products/12518_601.htm

you could probably find one used online somewhere depending on how much time you want to spend looking.