drive shaft?????

hey guys i have a 94 jeep already modded with a 4 inch lift on 33s but i am dying to do a spring over does anyone no where i can find some long drive shafts or anyone have any. i lknow i can go get them spliced and balanced but money is hard to come by. and i also couldnt stand being out of my jeep that long. any suggestions? thanks adam (newbie)

hey guys i have a 94 jeep already modded with a 4 inch lift on 33s but i am dying to do a spring over does anyone no where i can find some long drive shafts or anyone have any. i lknow i can go get them spliced and balanced but money is hard to come by. and i also couldnt stand being out of my jeep that long. any suggestions? thanks adam (newbie)
does it have a slip yoke eliminator?

Carolina Driveline can work with used shafts to make you a budget shaft to get you going.

7_5.jpg

what exactly are you looking for then?

with a SOA you are going to be spending a lot more money than just drive shafts, having done a few SOAs, there is a lot more than just putting your axles under your springs... Steering, traction bar...driveshafts. You will need an SYE with a SOA.

Oh I agree but my main issue is just shafts. I have a friend a former jeep owner and builder who has explained the in and out of what he had to do and issues I should be aware of for this project I mainly am wondering if anyone has anymore info and have ever used Chevy parts or anything like that(was told you could use there shafts) and if anyone would share there experience especially if they have a lift and spring over.

In honesty I am after clearance so perhaps a body lift and large rubber will get what I need and easier on the pocket. Just looking to hear others experience on the matter.

In honesty I am after clearance so perhaps a body lift and large rubber will get what I need and easier on the pocket. Just looking to hear others experience on the matter.
If your looking to do 35s on a YJ and keep the fenders you can do a 2.5-3" spring under lift and 1" body lift and have a fairly capable rig if you beef up the rest of the jeep to handle the 35s.

If your jeep has the stock rear dana 35 axle you could do a 2.5" lift and 1" body lift and run 33s and keep the rear open and be very capable.

If you want 31s you could do a 2.5" lift and you would be fine.

With spring over axle in my experience you have to do cross over steering to a high steer arm to keep the drag link out of the leaf spring at full turn to the passenger side. You will also bend leaf springs and break driveshafts if you keep stock springs with no traction bar and you plan to run any trail with ledges or hill climbs.

With your driveshafts, its not that they will be that much to short with a spring over, its that the angle of the driveshaft at the Transfer case will be extreme and cause bad vibrations. While the YJ rear driveshaft is a good bit longer than a TJ rear shaft it is still very short in vehicle terms and leads to bad vibes, worn slips, broken yokes, and headaches if used with lifts higher than 2.5"-3.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
You will also bend leaf springs and break driveshafts if you keep stock springs with no traction bar and you plan to run any trail with ledges or hill climbs.
Brooks, how do you know so much about breaking YJs?

[video=youtube;DYEAHrenQHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYEAHrenQHc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

That's what happens when you bounce a sprung over YJ and the traction bar rips off...

Last edited:
Well here is my issue guys I bought my jeep with a 4" skyjacker lift no body lift on 33's an now after some of these questions arrive I now have noticed I have no sye and horrible angles. So no I am trying to decide since a sye is essential I will be under the jeep why not just preform a spring over while having my shafts out and having to buy longer ones I no there is extra cost involved but it sounded smart. But at the same time the problems that may aries from a spring over might not be worth it. All I really no is I am extremely concerned about my driveline.

Do you have a locker in the front axle? If not, then your front driveshaft doesnt turn while on the street, so for the most part for now you can concentrate on the rear driveshaft. If you do a Sring over axle you will have to buy new springs anyways, so you may as well keep what you have for now and just fix the drivelines. An SYE is not that bad to do and the driveshaft would likely work for an SOA if you ever wanted to go that route.

If you buy an SYE you can run a Jeep Cherokee front driveshaft with it on a YJ. You may have to get it shortened, but thats not too bad. Put up some pics of the jeep so we can see what we are working with.