One off Jeep parts

Ran across this the other day while looking on 4bangerJP and thought i'd share. Very impressive work of a guy building his own crawlbox using the planetary of a rubicon case, It's pretty much a homemade Klune.

The Idea:
http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,10454.0.html
Build thread:
http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,10552.0.html

Same guy also made up his own adapter to mate the 2.5l with a nsg370
http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,10458.0.html

Most are probably unfamiliar with the website 4bangerjp, but those people love they're damn 4-cylinders. Loads of info about any and everything you can think of with them. Alot of successful turbo built 2.5l motors which is what i've been looking at.

well hell.

Quoted:

I picked up a NP241OR 4:1 Rubicon transfer case off a wreck, the case was split open and unusable the way it was, the front 1/2 case and the front planetary mount were both cracked

to recap the plan:
- use the 4:1 planetary, ring, input shaft, shift collar and shift fork from the 241OR
- use a BlackBox-i output shaft from Northwestfab to integrate the Crawl box into my Dana 300 as the 2nd low ratio and turn it into a 4 speed
- fab the case & related to mount the crawl boxt to the input of the D300

you can see in this picture that the ring is held into the case by the means of some tabs ans squeezed into place by the front plate which holds the planetary assembly with the input shaft and input bearing - i will need to go the same route but i did eventually take a different approach not that far from the original

1_NP241OR_Case_1.jpg

these are the parts that i am going to use for my doubler

Planetary and Ring gear
1_NP241OR_Planetary_1.jpg

shift collar
1_NP241OR_Shift_Collar.jpg

as a comparison the 231 and 241OR planetaries side by side
1c_NP241ORvsNP231_Planetary_1.jpg

1c_NP241ORvsNP231_Planetary_2.jpg

first challenge was the output shaft, the 241OR input pilot bearing (at the inside end of the input shaft) is larger diameter than the 231 one and that's the same as the blackbox-i shaft i got
1d_NP241ORvsNP231_Output_Shaft.jpg

I decided to use the regular 231 pilot bearing and fab a sleeve to hold it into the 241OR input shaft, i also had to offset the location a bit so it comes out further towards the output shaft as this one is also shorter than the 241OR shaft
made the sleeve out of a short piece of stainless tubing
6_Input_Shaft_PilotBearing_Sleeve_1.jpg

basically the input bearing retainer would be holding the 1/2 front of the input bearing and the front plate being flat between the transmisson mount face and the retainer mounting plane
so i went ahead and fabricated the input retainer before receiving the new bearing, big mistake

sw_input_snout.jpg

sw_input_snout_bprint.jpg

0_Input_Snout_v1_4.jpg

[/quote]

pressed the bearing in and back on the lathe to get it cut
6_Input_Shaft_PilotBearing_Sleeve_2.jpg

6_Input_Shaft_PilotBearing_Sleeve_5.jpg

6_Input_Shaft_PilotBearing_Sleeve_7.jpg

pressed in and tested the fit
6_Input_Shaft_PilotBearing_Sleeve_9b.jpg

6b_Input_Shaft_Output_Shaft.jpg

6b_Planetary_with_BBoxi_InputShaft_1.jpg

initial plan was to use the same type of bearing as i took off the 241OR, however i could not find it anywhere, the snap ring location is different than the ones i found to buy (241OR has the snap ring groove in the center as you can see in these pics)

1d_NP241ORvsNP231_Bearings_2.jpg

1d_NP241ORvsNP231_Bearings_1.jpg

so before i knew i cannot get it i planned for this design
doubler_view.jpg

doubler_exploded.jpg

once i got the new one and after ordering a second bearing using a dealer provided part number (which turned out to be the same as the one i already got) i had to modify the design

I also realized that in order to get all the dimensions right i will need to create a 3D mockup of the whole assembly so i went ahead an created th models for all the parts i had off the 241OR t-case, the blackbox shaft and create the models of the parts i need to fab so it all fits together perfectly - eliminates the guess work

241OR input shaft
sw_input_shaft.jpg

241OR planetary assembly
sw_planetary_assembly.jpg

241OR shift collar
sw_shift_collar.jpg

blackbox-i output shaft
sw_output_shaft.jpg

will post some more progress later today

Those 3 were taken from the first post on the site, with some pics eliminated to get in the 10 picture limit.