2012 Southeastern Regional Overland Rally and Workshop

From Expedition Portal:

Full Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...orkshop-Thread

When: September 27th – 30th 2012

Where: Crawford’s Campground just outside Murphy, NC

Murphy, North Carolina, is an old town with its origin dating back to 1839 and is located in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains in the Southwest corner, where North Carolina boarders with Georgia and Tennessee. www.crawfordsattellico.com/ (Their website is currently experiencing problems, hope they have it back up running soon)

The information will be uploaded shortly to the official rally site
http://www.overlandrally.com/Overlan...Southeast.html

Preliminary Schedule:
Please check regularly for up-dates as the schedule should become more and more exciting:

Thursday, September 27th:
3:00 PM Doors open
7:00 PM Meet & Greet at Camp Fire

Friday, September 28th:
Breakfast
9:00 am – 11:00 am Classes
11:00 am – 1:00 pm Classes
2:00 pm – 5:00 pm Leisure / Vendor / Exploring / Communicating / Socializing / Trail Riding Time
6:00 pm – who knows when Pot-look Dinner

Saturday, September 29th:
Breakfast
9:00 am – 11:00 am Classes
11:00 am – 1:00 pm Classes
2:00 pm – 5:00 pm Leisure / Vendor / Exploring / Communicating / Socializing / Trail Riding Time
6:00 pm – who knows when Dinner provided by the Overland Rally

Sunday, September 30th::
Breakfast
9:00 am – 11:00 am Annual Rally Challenge
11:00 am – 12:00 pm Rally classification
12:00 pm start leaving camp

Classes & Discussions:
So far, I’m in the process of lining up the following classes. PLEASE, let me know what classes you are interested in. I am thankful to any suggestions and ideas:

•Basic 4WD
•Advanced 4WD
•Spotting
•Synthetic winch line repair
•Photography
•Round table international traveling, border crossing
•Round table traveling with kids
•List to be continued

Vendors:
I currently have no information regarding our national vendors. Of our local good guys, the following vendors already expressed their firm intention to attend the Rally:

•Southeast Overland LLC
•Ujoint Off Road expressed interest
•List will constantly be updated

If you have any questions or suggestions, don't hesitate to PM me, or send me an e-mail to southeasternoverlandrally@gmail.com.

With all the good stuff adding quickly, time to post the complete updated Rally info again:

2012 Southeastern Regional Overland Rally and Workshop

When: September 27th – 30th 2012
Where: Crawford’s Camp just outside Murphy, NC

The Overland Rallies and Workshops is a series of 3 events across the USA with the aim to bring overland and expedition travel enthusiasts together. The event embraces all skill levels of vehicle-based adventure travel and a multitude of vehicles, trucks, 4x4, dual-sports motorcycles, bicycles and more.
The Rally is a family and pet friendly event focusing on training and camaraderie, promoting safe and environmentally sustainable adventure traveling off the beaten path in the US and abroad.

Thursday, September 27th:
3:00 PM Doors open
7:00 PM Meet & Greet at Camp Fire

Friday, September 28th:
9:00 am – 12:00 am Classes
1:00 pm – 6:00 pm Trail Rides / Vendor / Socializing Time
7:00 pm – 8:30 pm Dinner provided by the Overland Rally
9:00 pm - ... presentation and socializing

Saturday, September 29th:
9:00 am – 12:00 am Classes
1:00 pm – 6:00 pm Trail Rides / Vendor / Socializing Time
7:00 pm – 8:30 pm Dinner provided by the Overland Rally
9:00 pm - ... presentation and socializing

Sunday, September 30th::
9:00 am – 12:00 pm Annual Rally Challenge
12:00 pm start leaving camp

Classes, held Friday and Saturday morning

Basic 4WD (Overland Experts)
Advanced 4WD (Overland Experts)
Recovery gear and technique (Overland Experts)
Spotting (Southeast Overland LLC)
Synthetic winch line repair (Southeast Overland LLC)
Motorbike long trip preparation ("Zolo")
Motorcycle Trail riding technique ("Zolo" with support)
First aid (RTF)
Spanish phrases and some rules and guidlines for your next trip to Latin America ("Mrs. Swiss and future Mrs. Zolo" )
Photography (TBD)
Knots and other fun and useful outdoors stuff for kids (an Eaglescout)

Round Tables Discussions, held Friday and Saturday morning

International traveling, border crossing ("The Swiss")
Choosing the “perfect” overland vehicle ("The Swiss")

Trail Rides, held Friday and Saturday afternoon

Friday and Saturday afternoon tralrides, very scenic FS roads ("The Swiss", "Zolo", and TBD)
Alternatively: Excursion to Snowbird which has more challenging trails. Snowbird is privatly owned, there is therefore a extra charge of $25/adult/day and $10/child fee. (Southeast Overland Adventures LLC)

Evening Presentations:

“One Crazy Ride” by Gaurav Jani
98 Camel Trophy Tierra Del Fuego, presented by Alvaro de Orleans, actual Camel Trophy participant

Confirmed Vendors:

Southeast Overland LLC
Ujoint Offroad
Overland Experts
4Wheelparts Atlanta
ACC Toyota Truck & Land Cruiser
(Tellicomoto donating gift certificates)

If you are interested in becoming a vendor, please contact me at southeasternoverlandrally@gmail.com for more information. Basic vendor packages are extremely affordable and include full access to all the event has to offer!

Passes:

Family and Single Passes include camping, all classes, all presentations, Saturday dinner and general trail rides (except Snowbird)
Day Passes include all classes, all presentations and general trail rides

Fees:

Family Pass: $140.00
Single Pass: $75.00
Day Pass: $30.00

http://www.overlandrally.com/Overlan.../Register.html

Questions:

E-mail to southeasternoverlandrally@gmail.com

Chase and I are heading up thursday to this event to tour some of the North Georgia mountains before we get to Crawfords, anyone else planning on going?

Chase and I had a good time up at the Overland Rally. I have a ton of pics as well as many pictures of the old tellico trails I took when we were out on saturday. I hope to have them up sometime soon. until then, here are some teasers.

overlandra.jpg

overlawzw.jpg

overlalyl.jpg

you can actually run all of upper 2 minus about 1000 feet where the main ledges used to be. but the whole trail has been graded and graveled. We started from the beginning and got to the ledges, then went in from the end and got to the top of the ledges.

This is the end of Upper 2 off of Davis Creek Road/Trail 1. That yellow sign says "Trail #2" on it.

overlaztz.jpg

Are the ledges impassible or is it just a no no
Most all of the old trails are now closed. The ledges area of Upper 2 are now closed and covered with dirt and brush. 'Obliterated' per the FS.
yes, they are Closed and I would say in their current form they are impassible as well. You can hardly tell where they used to be. I'll be sure to upload the rest of the pics we took on the trails asap.