Anyone else wishing for a new job?

I'm looking for a new job so I've been thinking about where I would want to work. Personally, I work in manufacturing, so I've been trying to come up with a list of places that make things I'm interested in. Here are a few I've come up with:

Cane Creek Cycling Products in Fletcher, NC
Confluence Watersports in Greenville
Richmond Gear in Liberty

Regardless of your industry, where are some places YOU would want to work? Who knows, maybe someone on the forum can help you network in.

When you say manufacturing, I assume you don't mean hands on assembly, you mean design? What sort of work do you do?

on a side note, I had no idea cane creek was in Fletcher.

I've done assembly machine design in the past. More recently I've done process engineering and quality assurance. But always at big companies. I think I'd be more suited to a small or mid-sized company - especially one with the camaraderie of a business built on a hobby.

Well, I like my job, but the BS involed with it can be a pain. I work at Boeing in Charleston, SC. But I work on the plane and not in QA or ENG, so your mileage may vary.

I recently took a leave of absence from the car business myself. I am in the process of finding my next move. I would like to put my degree to use and get something a little less stressfull. Who knows what will take place though.

Got denied an interview at Cane Creek (they have an Engineer position available - see website). Confluence posts job openings on their website. I don't know how to find out about openings at Richmond except to just give them a call. Of course, they were recently acquired by a company in Ohio and laid off a fair amount of people, so I wouldn't guess they're hiring much right now.

I loved my job. However just by coincidence, today is my last day so I'm currently in full job mode hunt.

It is REALLY REALLY difficult to get a job these days. Seems like almost all of the job postings are done by HR people. They just look at what is on your cover letter & resume. If you don't match up 100% then it is thrown in the trash. Sucks because I get screwed because I only have 2 years experience rather than 3 years or whatever. So far I've had A LOT more response by contacting people I know (old school networking) rather than job postings. Depending on the recruiter, you can actually make some headway but you REALLY got to talk to the recruiters and talk to A LOT of them. I'm talking about a dozen. They are fairly worthless at finding YOU a job. They are more concerned with filling a position for a company. So you throw your resume out there to a dozen recruiters, you just 12x your chance at getting an interview.

If I were you, start personally networking. Are you on LinkedIn? Have you talked to recruiters? What does your resume look like? Have you prepped for an interview? What does your cover letter look like?

If you have a crappy cover letter and a crappy resume, you can forget it. I wasn't a fan of LinkedIn but I got my last job via LinkedIn. Recruiters actively search LinkedIn. Much better than careerbuilder or monster or any of those other crap sites (never ever got a hit off of one of those). Also there are legit job postings on LinkedIn and you can easily apply for them.

What do I REALLY want to do? I want to be the crazy old man at Ace/True Value Hardware that wear suspenders and bitches all day about crap I read in the newspaper. However I have a rover/car/bike/sammich/house/girlfriend/cigar/bourbon addiction that requires a little more effort than that...

BTW, if you need help with any of the above resume prepping and whatnots, shoot me a PM and we can get going from there. I can also help you with interview prep and how to take charge and slam dunk that potentially unnerving situation. Starting next Monday, I'm about to have A LOT of time on my hands. Same goes for anyone else out there looking for assistance. I've helped out numerous other people in this regards with some success.

01tj

I loved my job. However just by coincidence, today is my last day so I'm currently in full job mode hunt.

It is REALLY REALLY difficult to get a job these days. Seems like almost all of the job postings are done by HR people. They just look at what is on your cover letter & resume. If you don't match up 100% then it is thrown in the trash. Sucks because I get screwed because I only have 2 years experience rather than 3 years or whatever. So far I've had A LOT more response by contacting people I know (old school networking) rather than job postings. Depending on the recruiter, you can actually make some headway but you REALLY got to talk to the recruiters and talk to A LOT of them. I'm talking about a dozen. They are fairly worthless at finding YOU a job. They are more concerned with filling a position for a company. So you throw your resume out there to a dozen recruiters, you just 12x your chance at getting an interview.

If I were you, start personally networking. Are you on LinkedIn? Have you talked to recruiters? What does your resume look like? Have you prepped for an interview? What does your cover letter look like?

If you have a crappy cover letter and a crappy resume, you can forget it. I wasn't a fan of LinkedIn but I got my last job via LinkedIn. Recruiters actively search LinkedIn. Much better than careerbuilder or monster or any of those other crap sites (never ever got a hit off of one of those). Also there are legit job postings on LinkedIn and you can easily apply for them.

What do I REALLY want to do? I want to be the crazy old man at Ace/True Value Hardware that wear suspenders and bitches all day about crap I read in the newspaper. However I have a rover/car/bike/sammich/house/girlfriend/cigar/bourbon addiction that requires a little more effort than that...

BTW, if you need help with any of the above resume prepping and whatnots, shoot me a PM and we can get going from there. I can also help you with interview prep and how to take charge and slam dunk that potentially unnerving situation. Starting next Monday, I'm about to have A LOT of time on my hands. Same goes for anyone else out there looking for assistance. I've helped out numerous other people in this regards with some success.
That is great advice Max!!

What kind of job are you looking for Max? Maybe we can help network you into something too. Are you willing to relocate (I know a bunch of people in greenville but very few in atl)?

What kind of job are you looking for Max? Maybe we can help network you into something too. Are you willing to relocate (I know a bunch of people in greenville but very few in atl)?
Not looking to relocate at this time. If I was ok with relocation, I'd be on an airplane to Austin, TX tomorrow (long story). However I've got a couple very good prospects in the works so I don't think I will be out of work for long. Of course my damn rover is in the shop, otherwise I'd take a week long adventure practicing my debauchery.

What does the max do for a day job when he's not making sammiches and snapping sweet pictures?

I'm in the same boat i guess as some of you. I'll have my piece of paper saying i have a degree here in a week or two, after changing my mind 10 times what i wanted to do with school i'll be done (although i'm already looking at going back for my bachelors later). I'm moving to the greenville area looking for a job welding and the biggest thing i've run across is most places want you to have experience of atleast 3-5 years in the field. It's hard to get experience like that if i cant get a job to get me out there. Theres a lot of places that will hire flux or mig welders but they don't pay very well and i'd rather not spend everyday doing that, I enjoy stick and tig and want to try and get a job doing that, On boiler tube or pipe preferably. I haven't gotten out there to much yet as i'm waiting to relocate before i start my search, but i have been looking around and talking to people for the past 4 or 5 months. I have found that networking has been the best way and knowing people is how i will probably end up working. I dont want to do production work either because i have bad ADD and get bored easily. I have had all kinds of jobs in the restaurant industry, been a mexican doing landscaping, and worked in retail, this will pretty much be my first grown up job in the "real world".

I worked at Lowe's a few years back and i got the job there by filling out the application and then coming back 2 times to talk to the HR lady about if she had looked at my application. That was probably one of the reasons i got hired, because i wasnt the most qualified, but the fact that i came back and followed up she remembered me and took that into consideration that i was consistent and charmingly good looking. Sometimes you got to kiss some *** and take a big one to get somewhere, as bad as it is. I make horrible first impressions on people, but it truly is the most important part of a relationship. I didn't get a job one time because i showed up late to the interview at 6am, the guy had 2 offices and i went to his other office instead of the on he was at, when i got to the office he was at 20 minutes past i was suppose to and told him what happened he still gave me the interview and all like it was alright, but when i called and talked to him later that day he told me that he didn't care if i was the most qualified person for the job, i wasnt at his office when he told me to be and so the option of hiring me was out the door right then.

Steve I know if I was your age, single, and had your welding skills I would be hitting the roads with these shutdown crews. I know a couple of guys that are doing it and making DAMMMMNNNNN good money. Like upwards of $70/hr plus per diem pay. If your interested I can get you in contact with some of them.

Thatd be awesome. I know Dustin wilhide does that, and the key to that is knowing someone, experience matters there too though a lot of times but they'll take someone with little or none because you pick up bad things at jobs. I'm not the best there ever was but I can make **** stick together and good sound welds.

I have talked to a guy about a job in wv that would last about a year and a half that is good money just got to get a phone call back. I have a hook up at a nuclear plant being built in cola area that's a permanent thing I may look into in a few years. I'm trying to find a job somewhere where I'll learn stuff and not have to do the same thing everyday, and where there's an old grumpy guy there that will teach me all the things he's picked up through the years.

Dustin was one of the guys I was talking about. I know on most of the jobs he goes to you have to pass a certification before your actually hired on. Anyway if you need his contact info send me a pm. Also have another buddy from Laurens that does shutdowns but most of his jobs are union jobs. You might could try down at the Savanah River Site but I know Dustin did not like it down there.

What does the max do for a day job when he's not making sammiches and snapping sweet pictures?
I still make sammiches but the problem with the pictures is that it kills my weekends and kills the wheeling of my own rig. I still love doing it, but I love wheeling my own pile of junk instead (despite the fact that I know every last vehicle I've ever put in the rag is far superior off road than my own vehicle).

Day job is selling thermal vapor treatment systems. I get fancy things like weekends off, most evenings off, travel everywhere, and get to see many cool things.

Something to add to this discussion, How many of you have used some type of staffing service to find a job? How was your experience and is there anything to know of it?

Not really wanting to hire on with one but i've seen a lot of jobs through some type of staffing company and didn't know **** about them.

01tj

Something to add to this discussion, How many of you have used some type of staffing service to find a job? How was your experience and is there anything to know of it?

Not really wanting to hire on with one but i've seen a lot of jobs through some type of staffing company and didn't know **** about them.
I started out with one at Eaton Hydraulics. I worked my 90 days with Staff Source then I got hired on as soon as that was up. Its not the greatest knowing they are taking some of your check and and they dont offer benefits or vacation as a temp, but sometimes you do what you gotta do. Do they hire welding jobs like you are looking for through a staffing agency? Or you just looking for anything decent in Greenville?

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry's Wife works for a staffing agency, he she has talked about how it works a few times. Her job is to find people jobs. But I think she deals with IT and computer jobs.