Tri-linked rear end?

Has anyone here ever tried, or pulled off a tri-link rear suspension?
I have a customer that is wanting to revamp a single seater, mid engine design 4x4 sand buggy. It's a 4 link, coil over as of now, but he has the idea to go 3 link.
I'm not even sure I'm game, but I am curious!

This is me going on his explanation of what he wants done. Increase travel with longer coil overs, remove triangulated uppers, build a brace just aft/above the transfer case output, and link down to the center of the diff. just above the pinion. I would have to do some serious measuring, and calculations, but I think it would work. His idea is to add flexibility to the rear, and be unique!
He is already unique. I saw this thing built years ago, and it was sick then! Think about a jeep tj wheel base, with a tube chassis only 32" wide, and al rounded corners. So it looks like a rocket. Driver compartment is all the way up front, like a plane, and the turbo 2.5 is sitting right behind your back, with the fuel cell over the tail of the trans. It was built to his specs for outlaw desert racing in the 4cyl class. He is now moving back to SC, so he wants it tweaked for trails/rocks.
I'm stoked to work on it, but worried about his 3 link rear end idea.

Thoughts.............

01tj

Lets see some pics of the buggy. I wouldnt do the tri-link. I had a tri link before and it didnt perform like a 4 link does.

Tri link like the moon buggies? They're running a panhard as well to locate side to side.

Those guys went that route for packaging. When Jon Nelson put the motor in the back of Tiny back in 2002, he lacked the space to run a 4 link and keep that ultra low CG.
IMO a 4 link is mo betta. More adjustability, easier to dial in handling.

Tri link like the moon buggies? They're running a panhard as well to locate side to side.

Those guys went that route for packaging. When Jon Nelson put the motor in the back of Tiny back in 2002, he lacked the space to run a 4 link and keep that ultra low CG.
IMO a 4 link is mo betta. More adjustability, easier to dial in handling.

pretty sure hes not talking about running a trackbar, just a big triangle upper, I would avoid it if you can. 4 link will be much more predictable, or even a 3 link with trackbar.

Yeah he is talking about 3 separate arms, and a track bar.
I could care less how it actually performs, this is one of those ill pay you to do this kinda jobs. Just like when I built his dune buggy with a scat stroked 2100cc and a turbo. Dam thing stands up like a pro mod drag car. Can't keep it hooked up to the road, but it's what he wanted!
I gotta get him to send me some pics. It's a wild looking ride.
I'm interested in the job, but worried about function. His idea is the triangulated lowers, and a single upper over the drive shaft. I'll do what ever he wants for the right price, I just hate to waste my time.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Why would you want your name on something that doesnt work?
It's the owner's name that is on it, it's his design and wish. Someone could actually get a lot of business doing what the customer wants, even if it was a bad idea. Just make sure the liability is clear and have fun with it. Money is money.

It's the owner's name that is on it, it's his design and wish. Someone could actually get a lot of business doing what the customer wants, even if it was a bad idea. Just make sure the liability is clear and have fun with it. Money is money.
In a way I agree, but I would rather be known for a few rigs that worked really well and designed right instead of a lot of rigs that kinda worked OK. There is some shop in Anderson on the bypass that only builds gigantic tall useless jeeps that look like monster trucks, with poor quality and thought through the entire thing. If I had a business and someone wanted something like that, I may would build them a jumbo dumb jeep, but it would function properly with the right safety and geometry in mind even if it only rode on a trailer. Never know who will end up with it down the line and with your name attached to it ppl are gonna hold you accountable for how it is and your work. There are several places around here and rigs I've seen that are stuck with that bad taste from a poor set up or work that I'd never let touch anything I own, may not have been the shops fault or design but it has there name on it.

The picture above is what you have described, isn't it? Look like it would work.
a 3 link with trackbar would be fine, I'm saying avoid the three link with one triangle upper if possible. And keep your mind on good quality, not "I could care less how it actually performs"

In a way I agree, but I would rather be known for a few rigs that worked really well and designed right instead of a lot of rigs that kinda worked OK. There is some shop in Anderson on the bypass that only builds gigantic tall useless jeeps that look like monster trucks, with poor quality and thought through the entire thing. If I had a business and someone wanted something like that, I may would build them a jumbo dumb jeep, but it would function properly with the right safety and geometry in mind even if it only rode on a trailer. Never know who will end up with it down the line and with your name attached to it ppl are gonna hold you accountable for how it is and your work. There are several places around here and rigs I've seen that are stuck with that bad taste from a poor set up or work that I'd never let touch anything I own, may not have been the shops fault or design but it has there name on it.
my thoughts exactly

01tj

My front end is 3 linked and I love it. I would only run a 3 link rear with a trac bar only if I couldnt fit a 4 link.

Quality I'm critical of, but function of another persons design I'm not. Money is money.
I have done a good deal of work for him in the past, and none of it has my name on it. I think he takes full credit for all his toys. That's fine with me, for what he pays. We're working on the details now. I should have some pics as soon as we work it out and I'm ready to start the job.
The pic is close to what he wants just not quite it.

It's not that I don't care how it works, I would rather it work well, and he be happy. I can justify any fab job for the right money. Just like his dune buggy. If it weren't for him insisting I would have never put a motor that powerful in a vehicle with no cage! He wanted wicked performance, with the nostalgic look of a single main hoop. If it ever flips, the whole vehicle will come apart. I have no responsibility, and his work pays well!!!
I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Well good luck with it. Get some pics of it for us. Seems a lot of west coasters run weird 3 link set ups, Tacoma usually run a wishbone style because the gas tank is in the way for triangulated uppers. I started a thread awhile back about different designs I'll post up here later. I don't think you'll get much more f any travel out of a 3 link as opposed to a triangulated 4 but that's just my thinking.

He's got a turbo TJ 2.5 in it? I'm curious to hear about that.

Yep, that's what he is wanting.
Functionally speaking, I'm not sure how it would perform. It's an interesting design, but making it work properly may not be so easy. I'll read the whole article and see what woes this guy encountered.
Its already capable, and could only use some ride height, shock travel adjustment. I'm trying to talk him into doing that first, test it out at gulches, then make a decision before I go cutting off suspension, and customizing it all to woke.

He jumped ahead of me on the whole thing. The desert buggy is sold! I'm still gonna try and get him to send me pics.
He decided that he would just have another buggy purpose built instead of trying to tweak this one to do something it was not really built for. He also had received a hard to turn down offer, so he let it go.
The same builder is scheduled to start the chassis in Sept. and I'll likely be doing the harness, lighting, OBA, and stereo/CB. This one will be different, but a similar chassis design.