Fab Project Thread

Figured we could start a thread to share some fabrication projects you guys are working on or have completed. I know mine dont deserve a whole thread so post up what you guys have.

Ohh ya noob welder here.

Radius arm set up for the front. Using a 3 piece crossmember from Clayton Offroad. The lowers are 2 inch 1/4 wall with ballistic joints frame side and ballistic poly bushings on the axle. The upper is 1.5 inch 1/4 wall with I think a 7/8 heim with 3/4 shank.

Also made some sliders out of 2x3 3/16s box. The supports to the unibody are 1x2 1/8th box.

My lazy helper...
IMG_1516.jpg
IMG_1517.jpg
IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1525.jpg

Ive recently added tube and gussets to the sliders as well, no pictures yet though. used 1 3/4 .120 wall DOM with 3/16s plate gussets. Will work on getting pics.

Tcase/belly skid made out of 1/4 and the rear crossmember is spare steal from my sliders.
IMG_1725.jpg

I never posted a build thread on mine anywhere because I just didn't have time for it. Here's some money shots showing how I built my current XJ. Some of it's kinda ugly but works very well! :smokin:

Mostly all custom made bracketry. The only brackets I had to "buy" was the lower link brackets, coil buckets, and upper link mount, all of which are from Barnes 4wd. The rest I pieced together with 1/4" and 5/16" steel.
SU1HMDAwMjMtMjAxMTAzMDctMTAxMi5qcGc.jpg

Links are 1/4" wall 2"x2" square tube with bushed axle end and 2.63" wide 1 1/4" thread Trail gear Creeper joints on the body end and measure 37" from hole to hole.
SU1HMDAwMzAtMjAxMTAzMDctMTAyNC5qcGc.jpg

Crossmember is attatched to the "frame" rails which are plated with 1/8" and also bolted through the frame for no real reason. I built a complete drop out section in the middle with tranny mount and Tcase reinforcement mount built in.
SU1HMDAwMzEtMjAxMTAzMDctMTAyNC5qcGc.jpg

Trac bar, tie rod, and drag link are all 1/4" wall tubing. Drag link is 1 1/4" and the tie rod and trac bar are both 1 1/2" with 3/4" heims on all ends. Seen here also is a 1 1/2 x 8 Surplus center ram limit spaced to 6 5/8" mounted with custom brackets. Truss over axle is 1/4" wall 2x2 gusseted with trac bar mount built on to it.

SU1HMDAwMjQtMjAxMTAzMDctMTAxMi5qcGc.jpg

Rear axle truss and skid, mostly skid.
SU1HMDAwMjUtMjAxMTAzMDctMTAxMi5qcGc.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rig, how long ago did you order those joints? Do you know if you have the joints with the cones style bushing? I bought 16 of those joints when I linked my truck. Then I read how bad that style bushing is. Ballistic doesnt even offer that style anymore because it was so ****ty. Just what I wanted to hear after dropping $800 on um. I blew one out a few months back. Partly my fault, but the joints where loosing up. Ballistic makes a wrench for like $25 to tighten them back up with out removing them from the rig. Good investment I think. Just giving ya a heads up, hope you don't have the cone style like me.

Nice rig, how long ago did you order those joints? Do you know if you have the joints with the cones style bushing? I bought 16 of those joints when I linked my truck. Then I read how bad that style bushing is. Ballistic doesnt even offer that style anymore because it was so ****ty. Just what I wanted to hear after dropping $800 on um. I blew one out a few months back. Partly my fault, but the joints where loosing up. Ballistic makes a wrench for like $25 to tighten them back up with out removing them from the rig. Good investment I think. Just giving ya a heads up, hope you don't have the cone style like me.
Yeah I had the older style ones. I dont believe I tightened them all the way when we first put the arms in and they wore out real quick. I have the new solid billet nylatron ones, my order just came in today. I didnt want to order that $30 spanner tool so looking around for an adjustable or something.

Last edited:
My semi stealth/hidden winch mount. I haven't decided how I want to do a full front bumper, so I went with something I can use as a base in the future. I did everything but the welding, Alan Pittman Race Cars TIG'ed it up for me, for way less than I expected, even for MIG work. I can TIG mild fairly decent, but don't have a welder. Welder/Fabber said they didn't mind taking on jobs like this, and told me they would bend me up any tube I needed as well, I'd just have to supply it since all they stock is chromoly. I'm working on a design for a rear bumper with tire carrier right now. Generic winch plate and clevis mounts were from Ballistic Fab. The front bar is only slightly larger in height/depth than the stock one, so I didn't really lose any approach angle, and it could actually take a hit without folding.

My semi stealth/hidden winch mount. I haven't decided how I want to do a full front bumper, so I went with something I can use as a base in the future. I did everything but the welding, Alan Pittman Race Cars TIG'ed it up for me, for way less than I expected, even for MIG work. I can TIG mild fairly decent, but don't have a welder. Welder/Fabber said they didn't mind taking on jobs like this, and told me they would bend me up any tube I needed as well, I'd just have to supply it since all they stock is chromoly. I'm working on a design for a rear bumper with tire carrier right now. Generic winch plate and clevis mounts were from Ballistic Fab. The front bar is only slightly larger in height/depth than the stock one, so I didn't really lose any approach angle, and it could actually take a hit without folding.
Looks great man, really clean work NICE!!!

My latest fab is at work.
jib4.jpg
jib1.jpg
jib2.jpg
jib3.jpg

It is a camera jib. Could also call it a camera crane. It is a 10 footer. It does have soem weight behind it. We mounted it on an old camera pedestal, but I am going to make two other mounts to put it on a tripod, and a mount to fit in a truck hitch so we can drive a truck with the camera connected. Still not done, i have to make the mount for the camera. We hope to get a remote pan and tilt/focus and zoom control so we can make it just that much better. :)

My latest fab is at work.
jib4.jpg
jib1.jpg
jib2.jpg
jib3.jpg

It is a camera jib. Could also call it a camera crane. It is a 10 footer. It does have soem weight behind it. We mounted it on an old camera pedestal, but I am going to make two other mounts to put it on a tripod, and a mount to fit in a truck hitch so we can drive a truck with the camera connected. Still not done, i have to make the mount for the camera. We hope to get a remote pan and tilt/focus and zoom control so we can make it just that much better. :)
thats a crazy contraption, make sure you get a pic of it in action later.

a little battery box for the toy

started with drawing it in cad and making a 1/4 scale version out of paper

92209157.jpg

then cut the real one on the plasma table

6452f317.jpg

installed on the truck

da5929fe.jpg

Here's my most recent builds!
Front stubby bumper/stinger/grille guard/winch mount.
IMAG0019.jpg
IMAG0020.jpg
Rear bumper/tire swing/cargo basket.
IMG00190-20101118-1431.jpg
IMG00192-20101119-1109.jpg
IMG00205-20101129-1343.jpg
IMG00211-20101219-1649.jpg
I'm in the middle of trying to afford to build some rocker protection.

Here's my most recent builds!
Front stubby bumper/stinger/grille guard/winch mount.
IMAG0019.jpg
IMAG0020.jpg
Rear bumper/tire swing/cargo basket.
IMG00190-20101118-1431.jpg
IMG00192-20101119-1109.jpg
IMG00205-20101129-1343.jpg
IMG00211-20101219-1649.jpg
I'm in the middle of trying to afford to build some rocker protection.

Finished up my rails and gussets for my sliders the other day
DSC00314.jpg
DSC00312.jpg
DSC00308.jpg
Not to much fab work on this but my 8.8 thats going in this week. Already pulled my AL44 out and ZJ is sitting on jackstands.
DSC00317.jpg