3-7-11 Scouting with Southeast Overland in NC

Well I met up with Steve from Southeast Overland yesterday and we hit the trails early. We saw warm sunny sky and blizzard conditions. Here are some pictures I thought I would share. The South East Overland Spring Trek will take this route in April.

typical view that morning on the drive up, the rain slowly turned to snow as we got higher up.

Starting up on the first trail this is the typical terrain out here

Almost needed to try the stick test on this one, but it was snowing and crappy outside to we decided to wing it. It paid off

as we were driving in we noticed the "creeks" raging, which would later pose a bit of a worry on some trail sections

Roxie hanging out by the creek wanting to play with the camera

Attachments

I just had to grab a pic of the cruiser.

remember that overflowing creek I mentioned, well we crested a hill and saw this.... hmmm

well, we floated the cruiser accross the "creek" and realized it wasn't tooo bad, and that we needed a video, so I snagged a pic of the cruiser as he went back accross.

Some more pretty cool trail riding returned till we saw this...

this one actually had us worried enough that we pulled out the winch line and were getting it ready incase we started to float down stream...
In the end I waded out in it in the chacos in the snow and we decided thanks to the stick test that it was passable...enough

Attachments

Now was when we started experiencing different seasons by the minute. We were riding along minding our own business on trails like this...

and within 30 minutes the weather turned to blizzard and we were seeing this everywhere

coming on up a trail in the snow...I thought I was done with this for the year...

then we drop a couple hundred feet of elevation to our next destination and...

Crossing the parkway on the way to the campsite and we were back in the white stuff

had a blast out in the woods, cant wait to get back.

Attachments

Where the heck is that place? Looks pretty cool.
I can tell ya, but I'd have to kill ya. haha, not really

its all forest service and county roads out in the country. We started near maggie valley and ended up near asheville. I'm sure some secrets may slip out around the campfire at bumpus.