salvage title?

I have seen cars, trucks and bikes for sale with a salvage title, I think it means the vehicle was wrecked or something of that nature.

I guess what im wondering is what does this mean as far as putting it on the road?

What does it take to get one of these vehicles legal for the road? (other than normal stuff)

Thanks.

Salvaged means it was totaled once before. Totaled means it was in need of repairs that cost more than 70%-80% of the cars value. So the insurance co. pays it off and sells them with a "savaled" title. If the vehicle was worth $15,000 and totaled, I would pass on it. But if it was say a 95 Cherokee that was totaled because a fender, bumper ,rim and tire were too much for the insurance co. to stand, I would buy those all day long. Cars with a salvaged title are looked upon as damaged so they cost less, but sell for less when you try to resell it. It is possible to get the "salvaged" part off the title, but I think you need proof that you rebuilt it. But you still register like normal.

It's hard to get a once salvage title unbranded. About all you could do is maybe have it titled as rebuilt. Same thing really. Carfax and autocheck are out there for a reason.

i bought a saab salvage title, googled the vin and found pics of the damage. The only thing damaged on the car was the bumper cover, trunk lid, and taillight. Insurance listed it at 9 grand to fix....so sometimes they just dont want to fix it or the customer doesnt. now i have a clean car in a rare package with good service history for half the price. And at the rate those cars depreciate anyway it doesnt bother me that it isnt worth as much.