M38a1 Build or Project Blasphemy

I am bringing the build over from USJeeps

Here is the jeep

I now have a drivetrain for it.

Picked up a suzuki 1.6L 16valve motor with samurai tranny, Tcase, sidekick tranny/tcase and a 2WD sidekick tranny, engine wiring harness, and other doo dads with it. It looks like I am missing the power steering pump and such for the motor, exhaust manifold and i have a v belt water pump pully, and a vbelt and serpentine belt pully for the crank. So I have a few things to figure out but I probably wont mess with that until I get the motor mounted and decide which tranny combo. Heck I still have to full weld up the suspension mounts so i can go forth setting it up. Gonna be interesting, it should tee off the jeep gods, but I think this drivetrain will make a fun little cruiser.

I AM slightly curious why you chose a Samurai drivetrain. I have an 88 and that's been the biggest PITA drivetrain that I've dealt with. The divorced t-case is cool if I could keep it right side up...

Main reason is i wanted a 5 speed tranny to get better highway usage. The samurai/sidekick setup is small enogh to fit the short wheelbase of the early cJ5. I do not plan on stretching wheelbase at all.

Well got the engine mounted to the frame today.

mounts2.jpg
mounts1.jpg

this is what it looks like with the engine/tranny mocked up
engine2.jpg

It sits nicely on the mounts. No hoist helping it. I still need to make the Transmission crossmember and the Tcase cradle. I am going to test fit the body on it when i do get the trans crossmember installed. It should fit up real nice.

The engine and transmission are sitting pretty.
trannycrossmember1.jpg
trannycrossmember2.jpg
trannycrossmember3.jpg

Tomorrow the tub will be put on for a test fitting. :)
Next is to make the Tcase cradle to hold it in place and to shorten the dirveshaft between the tranny and tcase. :)

It Fits!! It Fits!!

I got the body on the frame today to see the fitment for the powerplant.
jp25.jpg
jp26.jpg

It is nice to see I can reach behind the engine to get at stuff.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/DanStewIII/jp27.jpg[/IMG

with the fenders on
[ATTACH]8730[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8731[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8732[/ATTACH]

Here is what it looks like in the tub
[ATTACH]8733[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8734[/ATTACH]

It looks like for me to fit the Tcase I will have to cut into the center floor a bit. Either I have to notch the passenger side tool box, or I will cut out about 2 inches from it and reweld it so the tool box will be whole, but a little smaller.

I do have to say I have alot of room in the engine bay with this motor. Can't wait to get it driving.

Got another project underway for the Jeep. Since I am modifying the floors a good bit to work with the drivetrain, i couldnt use a factory gastank, and I would hate to spend $500 for a new tank, only to cut it up. So I made a tank. Wasnt overly hard, especially for this old of a jeep. It is an underseat tank.

tank1-1.jpg
tank3.jpg
tank4.jpg
tank6.jpg
tank9.jpg
tank8.jpg

Sitting in the jeep
tank5.jpg
tank10.jpg

Fits real good, i have to fully weld the seams up and add the filler neck, and purchase some bungs to weld on for the fuel lines. I will be using a CJ3a sending unit and gauge with the tank.

Got the tank pretty much done tonight. I still ahve to get the bungs for the fuel inlets, and cut a hole for the fuel sending unit. Last will be epoxy sealing it. But for now it will get put in the rig and i will work on the seat mounts for the seats. :)

tank12.jpg
tank13.jpg

IT FITS!!!!
tank11.jpg

Attachments

Got some more done. I got the XJ power brake setup mounted, and the sidekick clutch cable mounted. I still need to get my dang drill back from my father in law so i can drill and bolt the plate down completely. The pedals are ready to accept the brake pushrod and the clutch cable.

brakeinstall2.jpg
brakeinstall1.jpg

I made a simple spacer out of a piece of tube and made a flange on the MC side for the brakes to bolt on, and then welded the other end to the plate.

Attachments