TJ Stretch

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have been thinking about stretching the rear of mine before doing my rear corner armor and flares. That way I don’t have to rip them off and redo them. I have been trying to find a good thread or something that will tell me what obstacles I need to consider when planning this but haven’t really found anything. So I thought it would be good to start one. I will edit this post as my plan develops beginning with the questions and considerations and then below that will be my plan of attack. I look forward to your input.

Questions and considerations I have come up with:
  1. How far can you go without the gas tank getting in the way. Once the gas tank gets in the way, what are the options?
  2. Will I have to outboard the shocks no matter what?
  3. Do I have to move the spring seats? Is it a better option to go with coilovers?
  4. Can I just long arm the rear to start with or should I just tackle both front and rear at the same time?
  5. Why do I need to go long arms at all? Can't I just stretch using the short arms? (probably a noob question, but oh well)

My plan of attack:
  • Currently in the works.

01tj

1.How far can you go without the gas tank getting in the way. Once the gas tank gets in the way, what are the options? Not sure on this.
2.Will I have to outboard the shocks no matter what? My shocks are not out board and are in the stock location but I am only running about 3 inches of up travel.
3.Do I have to move the spring seats? Is it a better option to go with coilovers? You will need to more the buckets back im sure, I dont see the need in putting coilovers back there. Yea its cool, but its alot more work to fit them on a tj with a stock frame and narrow axles.
4.Can I just long arm the rear to start with or should I just tackle both front and rear at the same time? You can just start with the rear now. I think the rear needs to be done first anyways, since its seems to walk under the Jeep when you flex.
5.Why do I need to go long arms at all? Can't I just stretch using the short arms? I would do a triangulated 4 link to get rid of the trac bar, but I dont geuss you have too.

My Jeep is stretched 7 inches over stock, but of course I have a fuel cell. The stretch was money well spent on mine!

1. How far can you go without the gas tank getting in the way. Once the gas tank gets in the way, what are the options?
    You can stretch the rear 1-2 Inches without getting into the tank, you need to move shock mounts and coil spring mounts when you do this.
  2. Will I have to outboard the shocks no matter what?
    no, but you will need to change the mounts somehow.
  3. Do I have to move the spring seats? Is it a better option to go with coilovers?
    you do not Have to go with coilovers, you can move the rear springs back, Steve97TJ was actually selling relocator brackets in the classifieds a few weeks ago.
  4. Can I just long arm the rear to start with or should I just tackle both front and rear at the same time?
    You can do just the rear
  5. Why do I need to go long arms at all? Can't I just stretch using the short arms? (probably a noob question, but oh well)
    You can keep the shortarms and just stretch them out, the longarms just keep the rear from walking under the jeep on steep climbs and helps with torque twist.

I'l post a few pictures up in a little bit from my tackling of this project. I cut the frame off in the rear, although i think i will enjoy the overall outcome of it, it's been a pain in the *** and i have wished i didn't do it, but to late now. 4-link the rear so you can just ditch the tracbar, and might as well outboard the shocks while your back there. Im throwing my tank in the rear until i can afford a cell, if i had the money i would scoop a genright tank, you can get a lot of stretch out of it and not have to worry about the tank being in the rear of the jeep.

Check out these 2 guys builds. First one is kinda long and drawn out but it's pretty ssick and he has some good tech in it. Second is stretching the rear a couple inches with stock tank in its stock location.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/float-test-build-698250/index231.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/gtxs-low-rider-tj-build-1117904/

The tank has to be free of gas/fumes b/c it requires heating the plastic tank up. The thread may have originally been for a YJ but works for a TJ too.

Basically you modify a aftermarket skid or build you own to have a reverse bump in the skid for the diff to fit. Similar to how a genright tank is made. You then slowly heat up your plastic tank in that area and press/ratchet strap the tank into the skid. It will reform the tank to match the shape of the skid giving you that extra room for the diff.

just found the thread

gas tank mod

The second thread I posted the guy did the same thing but for a TJ and a warn skid. He is the guy who did the ultimate tj thread on pirate. Seems to be easy to do.

you will need a genright tank, or a fuel cell to stretch it any length worth spending time doing.

outboarding- i would say why not do it. you can fit a bigger shock in there, and you'll have a stronger mount than the stock tj location

coil buckets- yeah they're gonna have to get moved down the frame.

long arms- you don't have to do long arms, you can use the short arms, but the stock mount cuts probably 1.5 to 2 inches of clearance and really aren't too beefy. and you don't necessarily have to put the longest arm under your jeep possible. mine are probably going to be about 28 to 30 inches.

as far as things to watch out for. i can't remember what year yours is. but i know the later models you have to eliminate the charcoal canister or relocate it.

here is a good thread with about stretching a tj. its in the later posts of his build. it starts at like page 40 ish for me but my post count is set at 40.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/mo2500s-97-tj-build-up-940107/index57.html

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
What wheelbase are you looking for Greg?
I would like to be over 100 when it's all done. I obviously don't have to achieve all of that with the rear. The biggest thing that has brought this up now is that I want to do the rear armor so I stop beating up the tub, but I don't want to have to do it twice.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I want to carry the tire inside, so the tank has to stay under the jeep. I built the 8.8 to be my final axle. It's loaded and I did that on purpose. My goal has always been to have a vehicle that I can drive to the trail, enjoy the day and drive home .... also, drive around town during the summer and enjoy the weather. I'm not going to go extreme with it, but it should be (and is) capable. So if I can get 4 to 6 inches stretch in the rear, I will be happy. I'm sure someday I'll want to go big, but it won't be with this jeep.

01tj

I would like to be over 100 when it's all done. I obviously don't have to achieve all of that with the rear. The biggest thing that has brought this up now is that I want to do the rear armor so I stop beating up the tub, but I don't want to have to do it twice.
My Jeep is sitting at 100". I would think you would need a Genright tank to acheive that, and they are pricey.