Hurricane Creek closed?

Stopped off at the I-40 rest area around mile marker 10. The attendent mentioned somone had damaged one of the private home's yard, now Hurricane Creek Road (private) is closed to the public and the law is patrolling.
Would like confirmation if possible. I was going to lead a small group up there for nice day in the woods.

I have not heard of a closure - BUT - Hurricane Creek has been getting a bunch more traffic the past few years. The only legal portion of Hurricane Creek to travel in a motorized vehicle is the main road. Many are going off the main road and this will lead to closures.

They can't technically close Hurricane Creek, there are private residences there and that is the only access. Otherwise, the Forestry service would have already closed the roads. But if folks don't do their part and act responsibly, I guess the land owners could throw up some no trespassing signs and give law enforcement a tool to give us a hard time. I work with the nephew of one of the land owners.

Hurricane Creek can be closed to public travel with gates - and keys then given to private property owners and anyone else with access rights. I've seen that done many a time and I even have a key to one section elsewhere - it can happen.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just sharing what I was told by some of the folks that live there. I believe whole heartedly that the forest service would like to close that road and would love for someone to give them an excuse. I will follow up if I can with the land owner's family for the specific reason he gave for the FS not closing the road.

I asked the guy about it again and he said "the land owners won't allow them to close the road." When I pressed him a bit more he explained that the real fear of the land owners is arson. Evidently, there have been a few cabins burned in the past and that is what they are the most afraid of, he mentioned some "rough guys" from eastern Tennessee. Not sure if it actually makes sense to me, but that's about all I could get out of him, lol. I thought he may have given some sort of empirical data to substantiate his claims, but I got the above info.

I asked the guy about it again and he said "the land owners won't allow them to close the road." When I pressed him a bit more he explained that the real fear of the land owners is arson. Evidently, there have been a few cabins burned in the past and that is what they are the most afraid of, he mentioned some "rough guys" from eastern Tennessee. Not sure if it actually makes sense to me, but that's about all I could get out of him, lol. I thought he may have given some sort of empirical data to substantiate his claims, but I got the above info.
Good info. Thanks. It is good for public access if the local property owners want to keep the road open.

Just noted on Pirate (Southeast section) some of the Appalachian guys (around Waynesville, Clyde NC) are going to Hurricane Creek this week. Should check on the "post ride" posts to see if the coast is clear.

that thread is from 2011, somebody just bumped it, saw it this morning.
According to NC4x4 "past events" (double checked the year this time), people are still enjoying the Hurrican Creek trail - good deal!!

Hopefully the "closure" was never true and we can still ride there providing we are responsible by staying on the trail and not "trashing" the place.
From what I remember the Appalachian boys kept the place pretty clean - good for them.

Hurricane Creek is NOT closed. We take the street legal jeeps through there preaty often. It is legal to ride there. Please pack out what you pack in, an if you see some trash on the trail that it is not yours, Please do the correct thing an pick it up. Thanks

Hurricane Creek is NOT closed. We take the street legal jeeps through there preaty often. It is legal to ride there. Please pack out what you pack in, an if you see some trash on the trail that it is not yours, Please do the correct thing an pick it up. Thanks
yep, its a great area of NC and is a fun ride. Its usually pretty clean but we have picked up a few things in the past.

Does anyone have any pics of this trail/road or whatever it is? Just wanted to see the scenery. I love the NC mountains and wish a new Tellico would arise. I know this is not that but would love to see some pics anyway.

Does anyone have any pics of this trail/road or whatever it is? Just wanted to see the scenery. I love the NC mountains and wish a new Tellico would arise. I know this is not that but would love to see some pics anyway.
here ya go nick:

http://www.offroadsc.com/showthread.php?1470-MCJ-Exploring-WNC-Fall-2011

http://www.offroadsc.com/showthread.php?566-Exploring-WNC-April-2011

http://www.offroadsc.com/showthread.php?232-3-7-11-Scouting-with-Southeast-Overland-in-NC