Factory cage removal 06 tj

Ok so I have been in touch with the guys from CFS offroad for the last couple of weeks and they are going to build me a new full cage. Working with them has been awesome I would highly recomend them to anyone. I'll post pics when they are done, but anyways has anyone removed the factory cage from a tj with all of the bedliner rubbery looking stuff all over the torques heads? I have been picking them with small pics for an hour and got two of the four where the torques will go all the way into it and still cant get them to break loose. I even put some heat on it with a small butane torch and they wont budge. Is there something I dont know about these or is it just a pain in the *** I am going to have to put more time into. Also if anyone is looking for a stock cage I will have one out of an 06 for sale soon.

My suggestion is make sure you use the proper safety torx or you will strip them out. I was able to scrape the rubber stuff off the cage I removed. I cut the rubber stuff with a razor blade around the bolt heads and they came out.

ok excuse my ignorance but what is a safety torx. I am just using a t45, but I saw it starting to strip and came inside to ask before I did something I couldn't undo haha. I already cut the rubber around the bottom like yu are talking about also.

the cage bolts in mine were safety torx, also called tamper proof torx. They have a peg in the middle, you need a torx with a hole in it for the peg to fit in.

1655068463_20120203031015_800x800_Fit_0_0.jpg

Since you won't be reusing the torx bolts once the factory cage is pulled out, just weld hex nuts to the heads of the bolts and turn them out once they cool (the heat also help them break free). Another option is use a pair of vise grips or a small pipe wrench, but this method takes a quick minute and can be aggravating.