Stairway to Heaven, Oahu

if anyone every goes to Oahu (main island), hawaii, i highly recommend for you to do this hike/crawl up the side of a mountain. It literally was one of the most incredible things i have ever done in my life.

The morning started out at 2 a.m. (rough i know) because you have to wake up to beat the guard there, he usually gets there around 3:45 a.m. and if you beat him to his tent thing he'll let you go up the unactive volcano/mountain. So we started at the trailhead/bottom of the stairs at ~3:10. On the hike up you really can't see any great views, there are a couple good views of the city lights, but none of my pictures came out good. Our group climbed particularly fast so we were at the top of the mountain by 4:15. Then we waited at the top for 2 hours for the sun to come out, but we were in the clouds, so i don't have any good views from the very top. So at about 6:30 we started descending down the mountain. about 25% the way down was when we came out of the clouds, and man it was like i was in a dream. best views i have every seen. then almost at the bottom we encountered the guard chasing after some people who got on the trail/staircase late. this guy was so creepy, i'll have to get the picture from my friend of him. He asked us how we liked it, and was really friendly though. then we were off the whole trail by 8:30 a.m.

Just to get an idea of how pretty much straight up it is, we went from 100 ft elevation, to 2950 elevation in about an hour.

at the trail head when we were leaving.

DSCF2456.jpg

up at the top in the clouds
DSCF2407.jpg

coming out of the clouds

DSCF2421.jpg

DSCF2425.jpg

there are alot more pictures on my facebook of the whole thing if you would like to see more.