Portable/On-board welders

a guy at harlan a few years back had an extra alternator with bracket that he would bolt on and it basically made for a mobile stick welder. I'll see if I can find any details on it. Cant remember who it was, may have been Cam in the ZJ before he did the 6.0 swap.

Well my concern on a stick welder would be keeping the sticks dry. Could be rather difficult. The wire feed type that looks almost like a set of jumper cables looks like it's the smallest package and easiest to use.

01tj

a guy at harlan a few years back had an extra alternator with bracket that he would bolt on and it basically made for a mobile stick welder. I'll see if I can find any details on it. Cant remember who it was, may have been Cam in the ZJ before he did the 6.0 swap.
I think you are talking about Chris from PA in the white XJ on tons. I know he has one because they were welding on Seans truck in the parking lot at GSSE this past year.

Save some money and get a stinger, ground clamp and some cable.
BatteryWeld.jpg
Keeping rods dry is easy they have watertight tubes for them. How much welding on the trail are you going to do? Probably 95% of the time it is a few quick zips here and there and the problem is welded up. Welding from batteries could do that all. If you were doing the BAJA then a dedicated welding system would be great. Also plan on bringing some clamps. That is more important than welding at times. :)

I like the stick too, because you can make a 6010 burn through anything without prepping the metal whatsoever, flux needs to be clenaed up in order for you not to have a weld that looks like mites ate through the whole thing, i know it most likely wouldn't be permanent but porosity makes for a weak weld.

As far as keeping the rod's dry, making a rod holder out of some pvc that's capped should do the trick to keep them from getting damaged and could mount it in a fire extinguisher holder to keep it out the way. A soft hood or just a fixed lense to protect your eyes and you'd be in business.

Im pretty sure someone here posted the homemade stick welder from a microwave sometime back, that would be another option.

I can attest that the above 3-battery and jumper cables setup works. Seen it a few times. Prep is the biggest issue for this style of welder (probably for any welder in this situation). A wire brush and some sandpaper go a long way. As any welder can attest to, cleaning up the area around where they are working is important. If everything is covered in mud/oil/misery, it makes it hard.

For something that you will hardly ever need, a cheap solution is very appealing.

Also throw in some little scrap metal to use as reinforement plating. Won't be pretty but better than leaving your rig out in the middle of nowhere.