Proposed SC stand your ground law modification

I heard on the news this morning that some guy in Columbia is proposing a change to the SC stand your ground law as a result of what has happened in Florida. The change would limit it to your home, meaning that you would have a duty to retreat before using deadly force when away from home. At least this is how I understood it. Anybody hear this too?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I don't know all the details of the Florida case and I don't have time to research it right now, but the guy didn't chase down the kid in the hoodie. So why is that relevant? The law doesn't protect anyone who would chase down someone who threatened them.

I don't know all the details of the Florida case and I don't have time to research it right now, but the guy didn't chase down the kid in the hoodie. So why is that relevant? The law doesn't protect anyone who would chase down someone who threatened them.
Exactly, the media or anyone has failed to bring up that fact. The law has no provision for people who go looking for a fight. But this is the perfect opportunity for anti-gun people to try and pass legislation like this.

That is a bunch of bull....The law does not, nor will it ever protect shooting someone in the back while they are running away. What that guy did was murder. The kid was running away, and he chased him and shot him. There is no law giving him that right. He will loose in court.

This is a typical Democrat reaction that guns are bad, and should not be used anywhere but the home....

My take on it is this, if the law passes and the stand your ground rights are taken away, if someone approaches you or your family, pulls out a gun, baseball bat, knife or whatever and tries to attack you then you cannot legally defend yourself.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My take on it is this, if the law passes and the stand your ground rights are taken away, if someone approaches you or your family, pulls out a gun, baseball bat, knife or whatever and tries to attack you then you cannot legally defend yourself.
I'd rather be in court/jail than dead...

I have and always will do what I think is right. And having that attitude I realize I will have to deal with whatever consequences that come my way

I think if a violent crime is being committed, you would be fine. But say someone came up to you with an aluminium bat, and started swinging, you would have to turn and retreat prior to pulling a weapon...but there would have to be ample evidence that you were being threatened. Right now, if you are in a convenience store that is being robbed, and you have a CWP, you have the right to shoot the bastard...that would no longer be a vailid use of your weapon as you're life was not in "danger"...

I'll also add this. Unfortunately in sue happy America the law doesn't truthfully ever apply. You are guilty untill proven innocent. A good lawyer can get you out of a lot these days. Which can be good or bad I guess. Just depends which side of the fence you are on

Harvard makes a good point. Our system is so fawked that you could get off on shooting someone in self defense and them lose a lawsuit to them for the same thing.

This is to fukp.
The FL case is nothing like the law provides for.
In FL the shooter chased down a kid that was not on his property, or threatening him. The crazy fukr chased the kid into a neighbors yard and shot him. It's being publicized as a white/black case, but if you do a little digging you will find the shooter to be white hispanic. The true details of the FL case aren't even out in the open yet, and this stupid fukr here in SC wants to use this case as an example to strike down a right that we only recently received. Bakari Sellers is just another communist, anti-freedom, racist! He is not protecting the people, but opening the door for criminals. The fact that he, and many others are outraged that this happened to a black kid, just shows how shallow they are. I feel the same way about this poor kid being murdered, but not because he is black/white/asian/hispanic, but because he was innocent! It's dam sad that in 2012 even our gov. officials have no better sense of commonality. I wish Sellers could realize that his actions don't even help the black community here, as he claims to be doing. If this law is changed it will make citizens of all races victims.