CFS Off-Road build for The Coulter Boys

Ok so I Wanted to fill everyone in on our latest build. The owners are David and Kenny Coulter out of Jacksonville Florida. They have been running their truck in the Mud Runs all over Florida for many years now and like most rigs, it has gone through many stages.

The first build consisted of one ton axles and 44" boggers, leaf springs, a 355 small block, th400 and a np205.

Here are a few blurry pictures from back in the day.....

IMG_8535.jpg IMG_6671.jpg

Ran that for a while. Then, as usual, it was time for more power. So he went to a 406 c.i. motor. But of course running that kind of HP with a np205 and one tons meant lots of broken parts.....

So he then went to 2 1/2 ton Rockwells and a Rockwell T-Case. All the usual stuff, welded, new boots etc. etc.

Ran that for a while.

Stage three he decided once again he needed more power.... (I see a pattern here).

So he opted to have a motor built. This time it was a 540 c.i. alcohol motor pushing over 800 h.p. :flipoff2:

At that point he also found a new cab and had it painted all fancy like...

IMG_0934.jpg

Ran that for a while, started playing with some hill in the hole events and what not. Truck worked well but he was still looking for an edge on the competition. Most of his competitors were linked and he could see the obvious benefits. He contacted us and we began discussing the options for suspension. We were trying to figure out a good time to work on the truck and then this happened............

IMG_3612.jpg

After going over many options with the customer he opted on 4 linking it front and rear. He decided to back half the truck as opposed to adding a complete sub chassis (ladder style) assembly like many competitors do which adds a lot of weight and increases height dramatically. He was happy with his wheel base and overall height so we are going to keep it that way. Here's a few pictures of the truck once we received it.

IMG_0225.jpg IMG_2689.jpg

As you can see in that picture we had just gotten some tubing in for the build and it's layying by the truck. We then boxed in the rear of the frame. Thats all for now! We will upload more tomorrow.

IMG_3410.jpg

I guess I kind of forgot to give a rundown of the build so here you go...

Staying with the current engine that was mentioned in the previous post 800+ h.p. alcohol
Built 400 trans
ProFab Case
Reusing the current 2.5 ton's
Reusing the current 14.9 R24 Rice and Canes
Four Link front and rear with Fox Coilovers
Removable Bedsides
Some other misc. small stuff that we are adding/switching

Here is a sketch we threw together and ran by the customer. He loved it and gave us the goahead.Should be pretty close to this.....

IMG_8699.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

The customer wanted to stick with the current cage that was in the truck but after inspection we informed the customer it wasn't really up to par. The metal used was not up to spec and the overall design just wasn't safe. Also, there were small details that we figured out like the fact that you couldn't roll up or down the windows without opening the door because the handle hit the cage. So we decided to go ahead and cut it out and start over. It actually works out better for us anyways because we are able to integrate it into the rest of our build more betterer.. :grin:

IMG_8399.jpg

dang man i can't wait to see where this is going! not even into mud boggin, but cool tube is always some eye candy! hahaha:grin:
Thanks. And just to clarify with everyone.... This does not mean we are a "mud" shop per say. We are Off-Road enthusiast and have a love for anything even remotely close to it. Whether it's trail rigs, mud trucks, rock racing, pretty street 4x4's, dirt bikes, atv's, quads and even R/C's, lol. I also know this isn't a mud forum but we wanted to take the oppurtunity to show everyone our first "official" build in the shop and hopefully let everyone see our quality of work. Hope we impress.... :smile: