1990 YJ stocker for sale

Bet y'all didn't know I had a YJ? Well, I don't - but my wife does. She has had it since high school. She is the second owner. We are selling because we don't drive it anymore. I give it a once-over every spring, we drive it a few times, and then it sits til the next spring.

Asking $2700 from OffRoadSC. If no one here wants it I'll list her at $3,200 on Craigslist, etc once I fix a few things.

864-280-4238 between 8 am and 10 pm.
Steve@SoutheastOverland.com anytime.
Located north of Greenville, SC.

100_2932.jpg

100_2933.jpg

100_2934.jpg

100_2935.jpg

100_2936.jpg

100_2937.jpg

100_2938.jpg

100_2939.jpg

100_2940.jpg

100_2941.jpg

THE GOOD
Motor runs well. Never any issues with it. 2.5L 4 cylinder.
New battery yesterday (3/4/12) from Wally-world. Cranked right up.
Tune-up last spring with new plugs, and wires.
New valve cover gasket a few years ago.
Top is in fair condition. It seals up and all but the windows are a bit dull IIRC.
White paint is faded but solid. I'll buff it at some point but don't have the time right now.
Tires are about 6 years old but have 95% plus tread. Stock size IIRC.
Tuffy console, black.
Bikini top.
Hard lower doors, soft upper doors.
Basically a stock vehicle.
Never 'wheeled.' It has been on a few gravel roads and one dirt forest service road.
4WD used every now and then to make sure things still worked.
No body rust. The only real rust I know about is on the exhaust pipe at the end.
Appx 123k miles.
Clutch around 110k miles - something like that. That is an estimate.
Maintenance history as I can remember have been a few batteries over the years, the clutch, and I think that's it - at least major since I was in the picture over 10 years ago.
No carpet.
Title is in hand, free and clear.

THE BAD
I need to replace the spade connector on the fog lights to the battery. It broke off when I was replacing the battery.
When I cranked her yesterday (3/5/12) the brakes went to the floor. They still worked as I locked up the wheels in the road in front of my house but I haven't looked into it further as I'm swamped.
Paint is faded as mentioned earlier.
Air intake ripped years ago. One wrap of duct tape fixed it and not a problem since.
4WD hasn't been used since I cranked her a few days ago (3/5/12).
No AC.
No PS.
Seats are dirty and need cleaned.
No carpet.

Whatchall think?

Last edited:
I'd be interested possibly. Been wanting something like this to tool around in this spring and rip the top off. My 4runner needs a timing chain and I have the work "traded" out with a guy but he hasn't came through yet. And the diesel is rediculous to drive everyday in town.

Matt - the wife and I loved driving the YJ around the country-side. It's not such a big fan of 75 mph on the interstate due to the 4 cylinder but loves country highways. Over the years we have taken it on several camping trips around the SC, NC and GA mountains.

I also added to my first post that this thing has never really been wheeled. It's been on gravel roads a few times and one dirt forest service road. I put it in 4WD every now and then just to make sure everything still worked but haven't done that since I cranked her two days ago.

Yeah - we think it is a screaming deal. I'm not one to sit around and dicker on a price. I like to set a good price and get things over with. It has taken the wife years to come around to selling her Jeep. I can turn it into a work truck by making you a package deal on a Swiss military trailer with the Jeep. :drool: Swiss trailer comes with bows and a soft top.

This is carb correct? I couldn't remember what yr they went to fuel injected.
Fuel injected.

Motor has never spit, sputtered, nor crapped out once on me. Trans has always shifted smooth. Never had an issue with the t-case or diffs. Suspension is all stock. The only thing not stock on the YJ is the stereo, fog lights, and Tuffy console.

Added to the original post that the air intake ripped years ago. After being quoted some stupid high amount for a replacement I slapped a wrap of duct tape on it and called it good. Never any issues since.

I just looked up KBB. KBB doesn't go back to 1990 so the latest I could go back to was 1992. KBB lists good value at $3,170.

FYI I do have one cash offer that is waiting on the feller to get his $ together. He said this past Sunday (3/4/12) he should have the $ in two weeks.

I have the cash. Just need some pics to know if it's what i'm really looking for. I wanted a TJ but would settle because of the price if ya know what i mean. I just really have the spring fever I think.

Matt - I'll be home after dark tonight but I'll snap some pics in the morning and post them up. Do you want for me to email you higher resolution versions? PM me an email addy if you would.

Thanks

Man that's a clean looking YJ.
And I think I need to clean it! :smile:

I started giving it a good scrub one warm day this January or February. The next step was a clay bar/buff/polish/wax but I didn't get around to it.

I cranked it up yesterday evening to pull it back into the drive. She cranked right up, drove into the driveway, and cut right off.

I've cranked her about 6 times now or so on the new battery so I'll need to let her run for a bit soon.

Also added to the original post that the title is free and clear.

You have me curious of the Swiss trailer....what it is?
It is a Swiss military trailer. I have the title in mint shape, and in Swiss! Similar size to a M416 but the sides of the bed are vertical and not flared out. Has good tires, soft top bows and a soft top in good condition. Runs slipper springs. I'd replace the bungee-type cords on the soft top just to be safe as one broke recently. The outside of the bed needs wirewheeled or blasted and raddle canned as the PO left it outside and the paint is flaking off due to surface rust. There is not any rot. I've pulled it a few times recently to the dump and it pulls great. Comes with a receiver mounted pintle hitch. I was planning on listing it for sale after I move early June - but I'd sell it now if someone wanted it. I'll have to get some pics up. Brooks has seen it.

It looks similar to the trailer @ http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Photos/Military/Versleijen/Versleijen54Trailer.JPG except the soft top is about 3' tall or so and the tires are wider and knobbier (if that is a word).

It is a Swiss military trailer. I have the title in mint shape, and in Swiss! Similar size to a M416 but the sides of the bed are vertical and not flared out. Has good tires, soft top bows and a soft top in good condition. Runs slipper springs. I'd replace the bungee-type cords on the soft top just to be safe as one broke recently. The outside of the bed needs wirewheeled or blasted and raddle canned as the PO left it outside and the paint is flaking off due to surface rust. There is not any rot. I've pulled it a few times recently to the dump and it pulls great. Comes with a receiver mounted pintle hitch. I was planning on listing it for sale after I move early June - but I'd sell it now if someone wanted it. I'll have to get some pics up. Brooks has seen it.

It looks similar to the trailer @ http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Photos/Military/Versleijen/Versleijen54Trailer.JPG except the soft top is about 3' tall or so and the tires are wider and knobbier (if that is a word).
looks like this one

swiss.jpeg