Fishing the broad river?

any one fish the broad river on this forum? i fish it all the time and it is possibly one of the best rivers for fishing in SC where i fish it. I fish it from peak to right before harbison state forest.

Just was wondering cause i'm getting some warm weather anxiety!

Last edited:
I've fished, camped, kayaked nearly every inch of it. Me, Brooks and his brother took an awesome kayak journey from the Palmetto trail head in Peak downstream about 10 miles. Very scenic.
http://www.offroadsc.com/showthread.php?295-3-18-11-kayak-trip/page2
And here's a camping trip that Cole, Brian and I took last spring on the Newberry side of the river. I've got a friend that owns several hundred acres of riverfront land on the river and let us bring the Jeeps and camp there.
http://www.offroadsc.com/showthread.php?273-3-12-11-Broad-river-trip

I also enjoy the upper end around 99 Island landing near the NC/SC state line and down around Newberry and Union county. Let me know when you want to make a trip!

Last edited:
dang! i didn't even know that. yeah i go one about 4 trips a summer on that stretch. let me know next time yall go i got a canoe with some comfy LL bean seat covers!:la:

I am new to the Columbia are and I love to trout fish. It is my passion and has been since I was a little kid. In Ga I know where all the trout streams are but not here in Columbia. Are there any close by or are they like 2 hrs away? I also enjoy lake fishing if anyone knows a good spot for that as well. Thanx

There are areas on the Broad that are famous for smallmouth bass fishing but I don't know if there's trout there. The only place I've caught trout in SC is in Lake Jocassee.

There are areas on the Broad that are famous for smallmouth bass fishing but I don't know if there's trout there. The only place I've caught trout in SC is in Lake Jocassee.
the saluda is stocked all the time with trout. I'm pretty sure its to hot for trout to thrive in the Broad. But Peak to about 5 miles above harbison (where i fish) is absolutely packed full of small mouth. Small mouth in my opinion is the most fun freshwater fish to catch in the southeast.

you can buy a pass at saluda shoals that gives you 24 hour access to it year long, or its like 5 bucks a day, but i'm pretty sure there are other public places to enter too.

yeah its a little warm for trout in SC but im like 95% theres trout in jocassee and around that part of the state, personally my favorite fish is wade fishin in the edisto. we fished the edisto river under hwy1 between monetta and aiken every chance we got in high school.

the saluda is stocked all the time with trout. I'm pretty sure its to hot for trout to thrive in the Broad. But Peak to about 5 miles above harbison (where i fish) is absolutely packed full of small mouth. Small mouth in my opinion is the most fun freshwater fish to catch in the southeast.
Small mouth are fun but when the strippers and hybrids are hitting top water early April I can't imagine a better time.

Small mouth are fun but when the strippers and hybrids are hitting top water early April I can't imagine a better time.
x2 on the strippers! Lol. I've been doing really good brim fishing lately. Water temprature has been in the high 60s around the Congaree and Wateree rivers and fishing has been awesome. So far I've caught several crappie and shellcrackers up to 2 lbs.