Gearing

Hi I am new to the forum but not to Jeeps . I currently have a 01 Wrangler Sport automatic 4.0l . My current set up is 4" lift with 35" tires . Iam still running stock 3.08 gears . Recently I ran up on a dana 30 and 35 with 3.73s out of a 95 cherokee for dirt cheap . The question is does the 95 dana 35 have c clips so i can just swap the chunks and will 3.73s be close . I dont do hard core stuff .

I would think that 4.10 or 4.56 gears would be more suitable for you. You will also have to change the pinion gear so it won't be as easy as taking one carrier out and sliding the new carrier in. The rear ends will be the same but you will have to get the new gears installed by someone that knows what they are doing.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I saw a set of 4 cylinder TJ axles with 4.10s somewhere recently, maybe NC4x4.

If you went with the XJ axles you should be able to swap the front complete, and you'd have high pinion. The rear is c-clip but you could swap the ring and pinion. You'd be better off with 4.10 or 4.56 gears with 35s, or find an Explorer 8.8 that came with the gearing you want.

I saw a set of 4 cylinder TJ axles with 4.10s somewhere recently, maybe NC4x4.

If you went with the XJ axles you should be able to swap the front complete, and you'd have high pinion. The rear is c-clip but you could swap the ring and pinion. You'd be better off with 4.10 or 4.56 gears with 35s, or find an Explorer 8.8 that came with the gearing you want.
The plan was swaping the whole carrier and pinion . I do some traveling on interstate and according to the math i need like a 3.82 to be back to stock . I know the 3.73 will still be high but with no overdrive I didnt want it to be screaming on interstate . Also i was getting the axles cheaper than I can buy the carriers for the axles I have so to go to 4.11 all I would need would be ring and pinions thanks for the suggestions

The plan was swaping the whole carrier and pinion . I do some traveling on interstate and according to the math i need like a 3.82 to be back to stock . I know the 3.73 will still be high but with no overdrive I didnt want it to be screaming on interstate . Also i was getting the axles cheaper than I can buy the carriers for the axles I have so to go to 4.11 all I would need would be ring and pinions thanks for the suggestions
well back to stock is going to be different. because you are going to need some more revs to get those tires moving. i've heard people saying 4.88's at the least for an auto with 35's.

All dana 35 are c-clips. My roommates xj is 4.56 with bald 35s and it's nice, auto as well with aw4. For hwy cruising it would be nice and you'd see a lot of difference from where your at now. I don't think you can over gear though and would prob go 4.88

I second the 4.56 vote with 35's. In 3rd gear (1:1 ratio) you'll see some rpms in the 2300-2500 at 65 but it's not that terrible on gas. With a 3.73 gear or higher you'll lose tons of power.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have 4:88s and 35s, so does Brooks, but both of us have manual trans. I love the setup, but his tranny gearing is different from what I understand.