$100.00 1987 Cherokee build up

Picked up a $100.00 1989 Cherokee 4dr 4WD that had an engine fire...Some pics:
IMAG0091.jpg
IMAG0089.jpg IMAG0090.jpg

This is after removing the melted wires, plastic bottles, hoses and misc. burnt up crap. Hood and Driver front panel had to be removed...Fire department decided to use a pick axe to get the hood opened :)

Going to finish up cleaning up the ash, and finish washing down the interior bay and priming.

I was lucky enough to find a complete Wire harness on JeepForum for a bargain, and another guy has most of the parts I need to get it running again, pending the damage to the valves from the Oil cap and rubber grommets melting into the Valve Cover :)

Total Overall Cost:
Hoping to have her running and reliable for under $500 bucks when complete including cost of vehicle.
So Far:
$100.00 Vehicle Cost with extra Hood, and Burgundy interior and non-salvaged title
$85 Full Wire Harness headlight to tail light, PCM, ECM, Fuse boxes, and Sensors

Next is removing the interior Dash and replacing the entire wiring harness.

List of Needs for an 1987 Renix 4.0:
Master Brake Cylinder/Boost
Injectors
Bottom of Air Intake box
Washer Bottle and pumps
Washer fluid Hoses
Vacuum Hoses
Power Steering pump, reservoir, and all lines
A/C hoses, condenser/Dryer
Radiator Hoses
Interior Gray Carpet
Stock overhead console
Throttle Body
Driver Engine Mount (Might as well do both)
Serp. Belt
Electric Radiator Fan
Mech. Rad Fan Cowl
Ignition Coil, Module and Starter
Misc. Brake Lines
Throttle Main and secondary cable

Future plans:
Possible install 97+ interior...Has anyone installed a 97+ dash and door panels in a 87-96?
2" Spring/Coil lift

It came with an extra Burgundy interior (Seats, Door panels, Misc. parts). Ill post that up for sale in the Sale forum if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
whats up with burnt up rigs on this forum?? first a jk now and xj?? whats next??? haha just kidding can't wait to see where this is going!

Haha...wish I had known Brian....just got it delivered a 2 weeks ago...if yo think about it, ask Cole to take a lo an give me a price. I also need a drivers front window.....

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Awesome guys...I dont know what will work on mine though. It has the stupid RENIX 4.0 which is pre High Output. It has a closed radiator system, and a bunch of other stuff that is different, unfortunately, I'm not sure what...

BullDogg213, did you 93 have A/C? if so, Im pretty sure that the hose system is the same. Let me check some part numbers and get back with you. Also, I do need the lower part of the airbox, so if you have that, let me know, and let me know the price of the front end clip...I need the whole enchilada: Grill, Main header piece, all trim work, light buckets, and lights (minus headlights unless they are H4 Conversions :)..). I also need the EGR stuff that is located on the inner Driver front fender. Shoot me a PM with offers...

Drewxjn, I might take you up on the throttle body...Shoot me a PM with offers...

Last edited:
So, I think this might have been the source of the fire. This is on the fuel rail, and is a metal cap that appears to have been blown partially off.Given the damage surrounding it, but lacking directly around it, it looks like this might be the cause...
image.png

Here is some priming...mainly to keep rust down and keep the soot off of everything that touches it :) rinsed her down with Purple power, then put down some self etching Rustoleum primer...
View attachment 947 View attachment 948

Here, there is a crease from a front end accident at some point. Is there a good way to fix this?
View attachment 949 View attachment 950
Here you can see how off it is:
View attachment 951

I'm having trouble finding an aux. Electronic fan for my Cherokee....anyone have one lying around? Almost ready to pull the valve.cover, clear it out. Also, I need to pull some fuel line from pull a part....anyone know the best way to pull fuel lines;)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Damn...Looks just like mine. Its still sitting in the Garage. I have most of the parts to put her together, just missing the time and honestly, knowledge on engine work. I still need to get the fuel line to and from the fuel rail to under the driver seat, and a new set of injectors and the fuel rail. Also need to still pull off the valve cover and see what the damage is and if I need to replace the engine or not. Id like to get her running for now, and then replace the engine down the road a bit. Its got 290,000+ on it, so its gonna die eventually. Ive been holding off, as I havent had the time or the money, and frankly, its been F'n hot :). This fall I hope to get in there again and work some more. Maybe by Christmas she'll be running. When I get stuck, wanna volunteer your time for some beer? :)

Damn...Looks just like mine. Its still sitting in the Garage. I have most of the parts to put her together, just missing the time and honestly, knowledge on engine work. I still need to get the fuel line to and from the fuel rail to under the driver seat, and a new set of injectors and the fuel rail. Also need to still pull off the valve cover and see what the damage is and if I need to replace the engine or not. Id like to get her running for now, and then replace the engine down the road a bit. Its got 290,000+ on it, so its gonna die eventually. Ive been holding off, as I havent had the time or the money, and frankly, its been F'n hot :). This fall I hope to get in there again and work some more. Maybe by Christmas she'll be running. When I get stuck, wanna volunteer your time for some beer? :)
I'm an amateur when it comes to engines and fuel systems, but I would lend a hand if possible.