Metal Scrapyard

Whats the deal with taking stuff the the scrap yard? Ive never been and have all kinds of stuff laying around taking up space made of metal......$$$$

What all do they take?
Rules?
Whats the going rate of steel now?

Do they take like old lawn mowers and what not? i have like 5 probably

They take any steel. Some of them are getting funny about taking aluminum and copper (non-ferrous metals) without some sort of permit from the sheriff's office I think.
I got $13/ 100lbs. two weeks ago in Liberty, SC.

I was told it would reach close to 20/100 in the next few weeks. I don't know how true that is though. They will take anything. If you haul cars you have to have a permit from the county. Also if you take non ferrous you have to have a permit and I imagine they quiz you on that ****.

i've turned in probably 40 pounds of copper to our scrap yard, and they did ask me some questions but not too many.

they'll also take old batteries.. i think those a 40 cents a pound which is bad *** cause they way a whole lot!

That reminds me, I've got a metric s**tton of scrap metal in my backyard I need to do something with. I always go to Mid Carolina Steel on Fairfield rd. in Columbia to cash it all in. They weigh the vehicle with or w/o trailer on the way in and out. There you are allowed to take stuff you find home with you as long as it don't weigh more than what you brought in did.

The toothless lady will weigh u when u pull in, point u were to offload and then weigh you again when ur done. Then u receive crack money. Jk folks, don't anyone get pissy.

The toothless lady will weigh u when u pull in, point u were to offload and then weigh you again when ur done. Then u receive crack money. Jk folks, don't anyone get pissy.
You are pretty close, but sometimes its a toothless man instead. And hopefully they have scales with the weight visible to everyone so you don't have to worry about arguing with a bunch of backwoods people and fear of getting shot if you do not agree with the weight they give you.

01tj

Its not 18.00 in Greenwood, My uncle just hauled a load last week or 2 and it was 14.00 per hundred then too. He also said it pays more out of town though.

Whenever i take a load I call all the places around me to get their going rate. It can very so much between yards your risking losing money if ya dont check. I have had times whn yards vary up to $4/hundred. Most places take most anything though... I remember the scrap guys that used to come by our garage in Cross creek would fill up waterheaters with water to increase weight!

hahaha i remember that! Those guys were sketchy! Always tried to get us to give them our left over scrap from fabin stuff. The water heater event was priceless though.

The yards pay different amounts depending on what you bring. cars with a motor and tranny ( dont forget to fill them up full of scrap) will bring a higher rate than just a load of scrap metal. Also there are different rates for torchable items that are too big to run through the shredder. My boss just took a fork lift and is considered a torchable, it got $13.75/100lb.

It does have the forks. I told dad we needed to junk it a while back and he acted like he wanted to keep it. Ill see what he is thinking tomorrow.