Pinewood derby ... Why so serious???

We had our Pinewood derby for my boys cub scout pack yesterday. I knew from past experience that some parents really take it serious, but I didn't know till yesterday we had one I'm our pack. Everything I do I like to cut up and have a good time doing it, but when I tried to cut up with the dad of the boy who won yesterday about his car only having 3 wheels touching he went bat crap insane, and challenged me to go outside and fight over it right in front if his kid. Now for the guys here that know me you know that I'm no stranger to a round of fisticuffs, but that type of thing is right opposite of what we're trying to teach cub scouts so I graciously declined. My question is has anyone else here ever encountered this type of thing at something as silly as a Pinewood derby, which is the equivalent of matchbox cars???

01tj

I know it was very competitive when I was into it, alot of people would question my car because I won like 3 or 4 years in a row(with a differant car every year). I won the Troop and District Pinewood Derby races, but I dont think it ever went to that extent. That sounds kind of extreme. He must have had something to hide if he got that upset about it when you said somthing about it.

People take things way to seriously. I remember doing Pine Wood Derbies with my father when I was a kid. We had fun making my car and I did all of the work besides the real power tools. Guess what - my car got it's *** kicked every year but I honey badgered it before I knew what a honey badger was. We had fun and I'd give anything to be able to go back and do it again with my father. I bet your kid would too but I doubt that idiot's kid would. Either that or he will grow up to have a short fuse also.

I was thinking about that south park episode too. (space cash) lol. Thats the first time Ive ever been challenged to a fight as an adult when nobody was drinking. Surprised the crap out of me. He stormed outta there shaking mad! I could just see him going home and going out to his shop and beating the heck outta everything he could with a 2lb hammer!

Seems like every pinewood derby race I ever did there was some crazy tension between some scouts/parents, then others were just like screw it i'm here to have fun. Its all about the fun in my opinion, and i bet your kid will actually make it to eagle because you're setting the example of how to have fun in scouts even with the weird and annoying adult leaders.

I'm kinda the same way. I don't care, and only want my kid to have a fighting chance. No shortage if *** holes that make it into a big deal. I have had a similar encounter with a stupid parent. I made the guy look terrible in front of everyone. With all his threats and trash talk, I just turned to my son and ( Son if you ever act like this I'll beat you like a rented mule! Your here to learn how to act and live, so here's your what not to do! )
The parent left and his poor kid hasn't been back to scouts.

<snip>I have had a similar encounter with a stupid parent. I made the guy look terrible in front of everyone. With all his threats and trash talk, I just turned to my son and ( Son if you ever act like this I'll beat you like a rented mule! Your here to learn how to act and live, so here's your what not to do! )
The parent left and his poor kid hasn't been back to scouts.
That was awesome.