lift kit install oops 35% for blood

So i was installing a 6.5 inch bds on a buddies avalanche. It was getting late and I was almost finished so I should have called it a night. I got to about here:
avalanche.jpg
But I was determined to finish so I ate some zaxabys and got back to work. Unfortunatly from my crazy schedule this semester and lack of sleep I was not as alert as I needed to be. I had one of the torsion bars loaded without tightening all the bolts in the crossmember. I laid under the truck to see what was next and noticed a crooked bolt. Without even paying attention to what it held I reached up with my wrench to see about straightening it out. Thats when all hell broke loose. As soon as the wrench touched it the bolt shot out releasing all of the passenger side torsion bars energy into my face via the crossmember. I got up ran to the sink and went to wash the crud off. After touching my face i realized it was pretty fubarbed and went ahead and spit my teeth out. Went to the ER and ended up breaking two teeth, my eye socket, shattered my nose, broke my cheek bone, and got 8 stitches........Moral of the story, go ahead and torque bolts as you go to wait till the end to torque them all at once....
ouchpicture.jpg

HOLY CRAP!!! Hope everything is ok, if your typing this then I guess your not too bad. Lets get some after pics. broke your eye socket? thats pretty serious. Let me know if I can help!!

He's actually doing real well. He came by the shop today and hung out a while. Him and his little big brother are gonna finish the lift tomorrow I think. Jimbo is a trooper for sure. And a lucky man to still be with us.

Glad to hear your doing ok. It could have been far worse!!!!
Gonna invest in a torsion tool now?
I watched a similar accident happen 15years ago. A coworker removed the bolts without a tool in place, and caught it in the collar bone/shoulder. He still doesnt have full range in his arm. I got in the habit of leaving the torsion tool in place till its all adjusted and tight!
I myself learned my hard lesson with a broke nose and teeth removing a strut assembly!
Dam learnin curve hurts like hell!

Glad to hear your doing ok. It could have been far worse!!!!
Gonna invest in a torsion tool now?
I watched a similar accident happen 15years ago. A coworker removed the bolts without a tool in place, and caught it in the collar bone/shoulder. He still doesnt have full range in his arm. I got in the habit of leaving the torsion tool in place till its all adjusted and tight!
I myself learned my hard lesson with a broke nose and teeth removing a strut assembly!
Dam learnin curve hurts like hell!
Ive got the torsion bar tool. Its attatched to the crossmember, it was actually the whole crossmember that busted loose. Torsion tool attatched! Ill get some pics of what happened today.

Dam son! Now that's bad luck.
I guess I missed it the first read through. That crossmember packs a hell of a whop. Hope your healing well, and they got ya on some feel goods!

just went down to the shop and pittled with it. if i would have had the jackstand set a little higher so the weight of the truck could not have fallen i would have been fine. So note to self and others, even if the tires are on the truck dont roll under it with tools unless it has jackstands anyway. It truly was a freak accident...