TJ wheel base stretch

Well while deployed to Iraq I decided to stretch the Jeep. I ordered a PureJeep Stealth Stretch through Allens Offroad. Allen was superb to work with. He answered countless my countless questions and got me everything I asked for at a great price. PureJeep on the other hand has been trying at best. NO INSTRUCTIONS of any kind came with this extensive kit and it was missing some of the hardware. When I called them about the missing instructions they replied they were working on them and to call their Tech number if I had any questions....which is not available on WEEKEND! Fortunately the suspension portion is made by Full Traction and their Tech email is up on the weekend and they were lifesafers....Ok enough rant on with the build.

One other note, The PureJeep Stealth Stretch is normally all bolt on. I chose to order the weld on truss because their bolt on truss only "bolts on" with stock style diff covers. The riddler diff cover I currently has served me well and I didn't want to give up the added protection.

IMGP2543.jpg
Pile O parts

IMGP2546.jpg
Drawing up the cut lines...where's the sawzall?

IMGP2551.jpg
First test fit.

IMGP2553.jpg
Bedsides with all the required hole drilled and ready to go out for paint.

IMGP2566.jpg
First challenge was the truss wanted to go where the breather tube and brake lines were. Moved it over by drilling/tapping a new hole.

IMGP2565.jpg
Finally coming together. First shock relocator bracket intalled.

IMGP2559.jpg
New gas tank installed.

IMGP2562.jpg
You can see the new gas tank in place. And the frame is a clean slate.

IMGP2564.jpg
Christian linning up the new spring buckets.

IMGP2572.jpg
The spring bucket in place. These are designed to be a bolt in item but, I am welding them on rather then drill holes in my frame and bolting them on.

More to follow soon......

Last edited:
I like that gas tank and skid. Thats a good price for that. Kit looks good whats the specs on your jeep? How much stretch is it going to give you?

Where can i find those frame plates with buckets?

I have been wanting to stretch mine with the genright kit to keep fender flares, mind sharing how much this ran you with a parts breakdown? this is in my plans for my TJ

The whole kit is PureJeep wich includes Tank, bedsides, and suspension components. I added Bilstien 5100s front and rear to upgrade my old OME long travel shocks. Price, well you would have to contact Allen at Allen offroad. He got a real good price off of a Pirate sale. It was much cheaper than any other stretch on the market.

I want an LJ... :( Wish I had seen them before buying my TJ. I could really use the extra space with the little one and all his crap. If I was going to go through all the work to fab up a stretch, I think I would just stretch the frame out to LJ length.

Specs on the Jeep- 1999 TJ Sport, 4.0l, 5spd, Dana 44s, w/ 4.56, ARBs. OME 2.5" lift, JKS control arms, BFG KM2 35s, PureJeep rear Stealth Stretch, Shrockworks rockers, PSC tube fenders, Garvin rear bumper and swing away, MORE front stubby bumper, Ramsey 9000 pro plus, Turbo city air intake. Dual Viair 450 compressors w/ under hood tank and rear bumper tank. Mastercraft Baja RS seats, PSC weld in trail cage......I think thats it...If it counts I have owned it since it was brand new.

Isn't there some way to add this stuff as a footer to all your posts?

Well I have made some progress during the week....
IMGP2582.jpg
Getting everything ready for welding.

IMGP2583.jpg IMGP2586.jpg

A good friend doing the welding

IMGP2588.jpg
Axle all welded up and painted

IMGP2590.jpg
Bedsides back from paint and installed.

Last edited:
Ha that one pic was a good "advertisement" for Hobart! I should have my gas bottle filled Monday next week so I'll let ya know so you can swing by so I can finish the other spring bucket. Those bedsides looked really good in person and even better now with the flares attached!

It should be 100", But the upper control arm has an issue with one of the bushings. Once I get that worked out and it sitting on all four, I will let ya know.

Ha that one pic was a good "advertisement" for Hobart! I should have my gas bottle filled Monday next week so I'll let ya know so you can swing by so I can finish the other spring bucket. Those bedsides looked really good in person and even better now with the flares attached!
Yup it sure is. Can't thank you enough. I truly appreciate the helping hand.

Post some pics once you get it done. Is it safe to say that the stretch distance equals the amount showing between the rear flare and the slider? What is that, about 3-4 inches?

You mentioned that you didnt bolt it to the diff cover in the begining. That took alot of support away from the trus. That is fine for just everyday around town driving. But on a verticle climb, with the weight of the rig and torque of the drivetrain. Its going to try and peel it off the axle. Mine almost peeled off because it wasnt gussetted, so that the only reason I mentioned it.

I'll have to dig through my build thread pics to show you what I'm talking about. When mine bent it stood the pinion up, potentially taking out links and coilovers. If all yours does is weld to the tubes in those to places I would gusset it in the center somehow.

Thats what I am currently working on now on my Jeep. My rear truss has no diff tie in plate or added gusseting. It will next weekend tho.

I was thinking the same thing about the truss needing to be attached at the center section somehow. Is that diff cover cast or steel? If it's steel we could weld directly to it and use a sturdy pivot point of some sort at the truss or the other way around...

If the truss was closer to the diff I would just suggest welding it tot he cast housing since it wouldn't be carrying all of the load, but it would be plenty strong for a third attachment point.

Most trusses you see being built will use a piece of flat plate to span up and over the diff and then they will be filled in up to the diff so that it becomes boxed in and uses a lot more surface area of the tubes.

Just food for thought...although I'm sure Bill isn't planning on wheeling his Jeep as hard as most builds you see.