Motor Swap

I am looking to get back into a Jeep and everything I have been finding has a 4 cyl. How hard would it be to swap in a 4.0 to this jeep? Is it worth it or should I just keep looking for a sport? Thanks DJ

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I love the 4.0 in mine, but to be honest, 01TJ has a 4 cylinder and he has no problem with any obstacles that I have seen. But with that little piece of information, I don't have an answer to your actual question.

4 cylinders have no problem creating enough torque to crawl offroad. if you want to keep your jeep on stock tires, then yes the 4 cylinder is great, and gets good gas mileage. once you put some bigger tires on it, that's where the problem starts to arise. i drove my neighbors 4 cylinder yj with stock gears (4.10) and 33's. and it was pretty pitiful. i had to down shift going up hills at 45 to maintain speed.

if you are going to DD your jeep, or drive it on the road i would suggest just to get a 6 cylinder. if you're going to trailer it, 4 cylinder wont be too bad but with 37's you will need 4:1 gears in your t case

01tj

Ive got a 4 cylinder. It has 4.88s, 4 to 1 tcase, and 37 inch Krawlers. Its works well offroad. If I were going to drive it daily agian it would need 5.38 axle gears and I think it would be good. It got 18 mpg last time it was daily driven on 35s with 488 axle gears. I wouldnt buy a jeep to swap a motor into, just get yo mind right for the 4 cylinder or hold out for a 6 cylinder.

Thanks for all the info guys. The last thing I wheeled was my Rubicon so anything I get into and wheel in stock form is gonna be a huge difference for me. I think 01tj nailed it perfect for me. Accept the 4 cyl or hold out for the 4.0 I think I might do that. Thanks again DJ

I think you guys are right. I've been trying to convince myself that I'd be ok with the 4 just so I can get another jeep sooner than later. Just have to be patient I guess. LOL DJ

4 cylinders have no problem creating enough torque to crawl offroad. if you want to keep your jeep on stock tires, then yes the 4 cylinder is great, and gets good gas mileage. once you put some bigger tires on it, that's where the problem starts to arise. i drove my neighbors 4 cylinder yj with stock gears (4.10) and 33's. and it was pretty pitiful. i had to down shift going up hills at 45 to maintain speed.

if you are going to DD your jeep, or drive it on the road i would suggest just to get a 6 cylinder. if you're going to trailer it, 4 cylinder wont be too bad but with 37's you will need 4:1 gears in your t case
YJ 2.5 and TJ 2.5 are different. Depending on yr, some YJs came with a carb and even the fuel injected is different. OBDI vs OBDII. I've driven all 3 and the TJ has more balls.

I've got the 2.5l in mine and DD it for 5 1/2 years. Its not as bad as most like to say it is, but gearing is your friend. Mileage isn't any better and possibly worse as you have to rev it a lot more. The autos suck from what i've seen. I've never driven a 2.4l but they have more power from what i understand then the 2.5, and you can turbo them easy since they are same block as the turbo pt cruiser and SRT4. I wouldn't prefer my 2.5l, but i dont mind it to much either. I would like to swap it sometime down the road, but would do something more peppy then a 4.0 and doesn't seem to be enough of a gain compared to the work.

Wait for a 4.0.

Well, up til now I have been looking to trade my truck for a jeep. And everything I found that people were willing to trade for was a 4 cyl. Well, now it looks like I will have the truck sold tomorrow so I'll have the cash to shop with. So, next question is what mileage would you avoid going over when looking for a 4.0? I know they are great motors and last a long time but is there a number where you would say to yourself I'm not buying anything over xxx number of miles? DJ