Heavy Wheels

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Just a thought/question on wheels. Back when I was looking for beadlocks for my Jeep, I discussed the different options with countless people. One thing that kept coming up was the weight of the steel beadlocks. That topic kept coming up and was talked about like a bad thing. I can see the bad side: the wheel is heavy so that is that much more weight to get over an obstacle. But I was just thinking recently that there is a good side also: with that much weight so close to the ground, I would think it would move your center of gravity considerably lower. Wouldn't this help in those tippy situations?

Anyone have any experiences where this has made any difference either going to, or removing heavy wheels?

It is un-sprung but it deff plays a role in COG. The down side to heavy wheels is more momentum that leads to more broken axle shafts. It also increases the breaking force needed to slow the vehicle down.

The extra rotational mass kills you on the road, and the extra weight period helps break shafts, and steering components offroad. I can't really think of anything I would want to be heavier rock crawling. Sometimes weight is a necessary evil to get the strength you need, but most of the time lighter is better.

I think the main advantage to aluminum wheels is the strength to weight ratio. I bent the crap out of my soft 8 inner beads. When I sold my last 4runner 3 out of 4 wheels had lost a bead and been beaten back. All 4 had multiple bent spots. Easy fix...weld a rock ring on the inner, but thats another 5-8 lbs a wheel and ad that to a weld on beadlock on the other side holy heavy wheels.... Granted my 4runner was heavy and liked to go in the air from time to time....still the wheels should not have been that weak. I won't own another set of cheap steel wheels due to that.

Given the option between the two if you have the money its kind of a nobrainer. Its easy to spend over $1000 on a set of aluminum beadlocks. Steel converted beadlocks are a lot cheaper to buy or build. I've had steel beadlocks and can't say anything bad about them at all. Id love to own a set of aluminum walker evans one day, but until then i'll run steel beadlocks and I don't consider it to be a handicap.

It is un-sprung but it deff plays a role in COG. The down side to heavy wheels is more momentum that leads to more broken axle shafts. It also increases the breaking force needed to slow the vehicle down.
How does it effect your cog? I just don't see the weight of a wheel effecting it at all.

I don't know how much if any a heavier wheel would effect the cog. Something with a more dramatic weight difference like 1 ton axles would. The weight difference of a set of wheels seems to small to make a big difference in cog.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
So your saying that if I have a dana 30 and 28s Ill have a better center of gravity than a dana 60 with 42s?
The other way around. The more weight you have closer to the ground, the lower your COG. Doesn't matter if it is unsprung or not. Think of it like hanging weights off of the end of your axles and then try to push your rig over. The heavier the weight, the harder it would be to push over.

With that said, some great points have been made about breaking parts. That makes total since. And of course the more weight you have to move at the wheel the more wear and tear and lower gas mileage.

And as for Miller and the water. Yep, that came up in discussion with him when I was investigating what beadlocks to get. He said he actually sold them with water still in them because it was just too hard to get out.

Finally!!! It got said!

99% of us who wheel will never see the differences between heavier or lighter wheel other than the rotational effects on parts. I dont think i have ever said "man, if i had a heavier wheel, it would have kept my front end down and i wouldn't have flopped on that ledge." Most of us just wont see that kind of situation. Like said before, get what suits your need whether its form or function and wheel it. If you dont like it, then change it. Our entire sport is based on trial and error. If no one tried anything different or changed things then we would all be wheeling a stock jeep on 31's.

Finally!!! It got said!

99% of us who wheel will never see the differences between heavier or lighter wheel other than the rotational effects on parts. I dont think i have ever said "man, if i had a heavier wheel, it would have kept my front end down and i wouldn't have flopped on that ledge." Most of us just wont see that kind of situation. Like said before, get what suits your need whether its form or function and wheel it. If you dont like it, then change it. Our entire sport is based on trial and error. If no one tried anything different or changed things then we would all be wheeling a stock jeep on 31's.
I think there's a lot of overthing on a ton of forums. Beadlocks, suck-down winches, blah blah blah. Rockers, lockers, and a winch on top of decent suspension will do it all if you know how to drive. Period.