4.0 Rebuild Options

I know there are the stroker options, and there are just standard rebuild options.

Right now I'm looking at both. I have had a knock in my 4.0 for nearly 100k miles and I'm approaching 185k miles I figure its time to start looking and saving some money.

I have seen rebuild kits going from anywhere from $400-1200. How Do I know whats good?

Building a stroker is going to cost me a bit more and I worry about the reliability.

At this point I dont really feel like I need any more power if I just have a reliable motor so i feel my best option would be put the money toward a high quality rebuild kit.

Also, some of them come with camshafts and lifters and some dont.. I dont know if I need to do new ones or not.

Here is one from RPM Machine, i read about them alot from the stroker guys
http://www.rpmmachine.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=10

Then if you look on Ebay there are tons of options...here is one from Redline Engine Supply
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2004-J...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Titan Engines:
http://titanengines.com/jeep-242-4-0-1997-99-engine-rebuild-kit.html

Engine Tech
http://www.perfectengine.com/Jeep_4_0L_242_CID_Master_Kit_p/eth-mkj242dp.htm

any knowledge on the subject? Rather than throw in a junkyard motor I feel like I know how mine was treated (fairly well...wait hmmm). I have also entertained finding a long block and rebuilding it and then swapping it over.

If you want to build a some power but keep reliability, take your current engine, bore it .030 over, shave the head, port n' polish and fit oversized valves. Also look at installing bigger injectors. Throw in a cam that just offers more lift (not duration, well duration too if you don't mind messing around with the distributor) and you could have more power without worrying about reliability.

Make sure all the new pistons and rods are matches weight wise and it'll be a mighty smooth running mill. Make sure your old rods are good and get matching bearings depending on how much they grind off the crank. Reassemble and put awesome paint job on your valve cover.

I would say get a long block and rebuild that one. That way would be best to help minimize the down time on your jeep because my rebuild took way longer that I had planned. Machine shop quality and customer service will make or break the deal talk to several auto shops and see who they point you to, reputation is everything when it comes to a machine shop. Also they should ask for your pistons before they bore the block I'd its a good machine shop.

If you are worried bout reliability, keeping it stock would be the best. When i rebuilt the motor for the 4runner i had a second block and it was a nice luxury to be able have that built and have time to do it and not worry about pulling wires and such and forgetting where it all went. Satterfields in Cayce is where i had my machine work done. Good people. Also think about while it is apart to do a new radiator, get injectors cleaned and rebuilt, all belts, hoses, filters and such. When i did it all it was about $1200 for all rebuild parts, machining radiator and such. I got an engine stand if you need to use it, it is sitting in my garage corner.

buy another motor... Dont mess with rebuilding one unless you just want to do for the experience (which I could understand) In the end it wont be cost effective. So buy another motor or take advantage of the opportunity and add a couple more cylinders and horses to that think.... You dont think you are in need of more power?? I remember a certain hill at Harlan in the snow that others with larger motors and smaller tires made it up but you didnt.. lol Just saying

Buy another block to build. There is enough people who have built strokers now that have done it reliably you could probably build a nice one for a little bit more then a rebuild i'd think. I'm always a big fan of it its broken, fix it better. I've read some bad things about Titan most people saying it's crap. Look on jeepforum and naxja, they have street sections of guys who have done any and every type of stroker and rebuild to get more umph.

Some of that "fix it better" can keep projects from ever getting done. Some people I know are still over thinking things and their rigs have been on jack stands for a while.

Here's an idea, i know someone that has a turbo set up for a wrangler ;) everything you need to get more power and then eventually put that motor out of its misery alot faster with it inhaling 11 lbs of boost with 28 lb injectors!!

But i wouldn't spend money on swapping in another motor unless you know the history behind it, has low miles, or you are going to rebuild it. With the amount of miles you put on your jeep a year, i probably wouldn't trust someone else's motor. Stroker would be sweet though. 505 performance has some good stroker kits available (all the way up to a 5.0!) Or you could do the good ol' 5.3.

In your situation it would probably make more since to do a basic overhaul. If you had another vehicle to daily drive, id highly recommend doing a complete drivetrain upgrade. 6.0, SM465, 300.... sounds like fun don't it.