Duramax or F-250?

So, I've been looking for a new truck for work, DD and everything else. With the new job I travel alot and haul more than I'm used to and honestly the Tacoma isn't ideal for long trips with no cruise control. But mainly I need more room in the bed and cab.

What I want:
I know i want four doors. I want diesel. I want it 4x4.

I've been looking for 06+ duramax's and have heard good things about them. Sounds like the LBZ engine in the 06-07 are good engines (power, mpg, etc).
I've also been looking at the F-250's, but the only ones in my price range are the 6.0's. I love the looks of the 6.0 body, but I'm a little hesitant of the 6.0 and the horror stories I've heard. But then again its 50/50 seems like with if you have problems or not... I'm pretty set on either of these trucks because there are things I like about both but there are some things I don't like too.

So whats yalls opinions on the two trucks? I know there are a few of you out there that drive one or the other...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've driven 6.0 Fords and LB7 Chevy's. It was a long time between drivng the ford and getting my truck, but I think stock to stock the duramax feels a little stronger. My truck is definitely more comfortable and the Allison is the best transmission of the bunch. I almost bought a 6.0 FX4, but the horror stories steered me away.

I've been told by several that the 6.0 Powerstroke will be fine with no mods. After you start adding modules etc. is when you have to pay attention to head gaskets. Also, some of the 6.0's have EGR problems but there are enough of them out there that a good forum will keep you well informed about the fix or how to prevent the problems. Also, the auto transmissions in the Fords do great in tow/haul mode (at least the 2 that I have been in.)

I don't know much about the D-max's.
Why not Cummins?

If you can afford it Duramax. If not buy a nice F-250 and don't pay too much and be prepared to do headgaskets, EGR(delete), Oil cooler, head studs. 6.0's aren't that bad of an engine if your prepared for the inevitable.

Ha i knew you would say cummins marcus. I love there engine but nothing else

If i got a 6.0 i wasn't planning on doing anything to it, bc i think they have enough power stock for what i need.
Matt, basically what your saying is pay more money up front for a dmax or pay a lil less now and end up paying the same or more in fixing or moding or "bullet proof" it for $5k. by the way, anyone know much about the bullet proofing, I haven't really researched it all that much

Im with matt. You can even get a smokin deal on a 250 by buying one thats already fubarbed. I would have no opposition to buying an 05 cummins, i just wouldnt have an 05 dodge. As long as that cummins is in a truck worth a **** im all for it haha

He works construction and hauls heavy loads and drives 100+ miles a day to and from work. He's also the only person in his family who isn't driving a diesel now as I'm pretty sure his dad hasn't had anything but diesels.

I only know what I've read and heard mostly as I've never owned a diesel but I'll always be a cummins fan, but of your choices id get a duramax. The duramax ride is better then the power stroke and there interior is lightyears better then Its competition. Allison trans are nice as hell and the motors in 04.5 and up are good motors. I would rather spend money on a nicer truck that I knew would last then buy something that would end up being a project and have down time without a truck, but you can get a deal on a cheap 6.0.

OR just turbo your suburban

Last edited:
another fun gm trick is "reduced power mode". Anytime they think its doing something squirrely it cuts the throttle and you have to pull over and reset it. Yeah an 06 will do the same silly stuff. I have basically 0 experience of the 07 and up new body style, but i know the one before that backwards and forwards. They will also roll windows down on their own. tell you doors are open when they are not, and some other silliness.

Basically everytruck has its problems, a duramax will have its, a powertroke will be a gamble, but one that can be fixed, and a cummins will come in a dodge.

A Duramax will most likley give you some electrical problems. Make them buy you a work truck if you have to use it for work!! Well Im not sure if the 06+ has the electrical problems like my truck.
Well actually... Work gives me a monthly allowance for a truck so that why i've been looking :grin:

Yeah I got a buddy that used to work at the chevy dealership and he has told me some of the little problems chevy's have but small lil problems like that are better than big engine problems that gonna cost me a couple grand to fix i guess.

I guess my problem is I've always loved F-250's and chevy's, seeing as how my dad is mainly a chevy guy, so I'm torn. I realize all trucks are going to have their own problems, but i guess when it all comes down to it, i care more about a more reliable engine than a speedometer. But its a gamble with the 6.0 seems like but there are good stories about them too, so I'm looking for a low milage stock f-250.
I guess if i did find a f-250 stock I could do EGR delete and maybe head studs if I wanted to have a peace of mind. But head studs are quite an install...

Last edited:
I think the only downside of getting a 06 or newer duramax, cummins, or power smoke is all the emissions/dpf junk you have to deal with.

I've had my 03 duramax since 05, just hit 150k on the ticker I haven't had a ton of issues (knock on wood). I've had the following replaced: dash cluster, flasher module/relay, fuel level sender, 3 of 4 ball joints, alternator, rear pads, and just got done replacing all of the steering (moog idler pivot and arm, moog pitman arm, upgraded tie rods, and cognito pitman and idler support kit). Still happy as heck with the truck and the overall towing ability, will be getting another duramax when, or if, I decide to get another truck in the future.

Yeah the emissions is another lil small problem i've read about but can be easily and fairly fixed on the cheap. That is a good size list of stuff but I guess it aint too bad for a 2003 model

...I guess I just need to drive and sit in both for a lil while to see which one feels better to me

Last edited:
Not a big deal though, alls it takes is a tune and a piece of exhaust in place of the dpf filter to do away with that nonsense. Fuel mileage goes way up when you do that too.