Tow Rigs in stock at Wilson Motor Co.

Figured i'd post up a list of the Tow Rigs on the lot in case someone is in the market:

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD. Crew Cab. 4x4. 6.6L Duramax Diesel. Allison automatic transmission. LT Package. Power/Heated leather seats. Bose stereo. Keyless entry. Tow package. Sprayed in bedliner. Gooseneck hitch in bed. 103K Miles. For pictures....WWW.WILSONMOTORCO.NET
$19900

1994 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually. 6.5L Turbo Diesel engine. Automatic transmission. Power windows and locks. Cold A/C. Six like new tires. Toolbox. Clean truck! Local trade! Truck has some paint fading on the hood and roof and a small broken spot on the rear fender. Nice truck other than these small issues. 270K Miles. WWW.WILSONMOTORCO.NET
$3500

2000 Ford F-250 Superduty. 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel. 6-Speed Manual Transmission. 4x4. XLT package. PW, PDL, Tilt, Cruise, CD, and more. Gooseneck hitch in bed. Truck has vinyl mat for floor which is very nice for cleaning. Interior is in good condition. Body and paint are in good shape but not perfect. Truck has a dent on the upper passengers bedside and one on the lower drivers quarter panel. Both spots are not terrible and can be repaired easily. Mechanically the truck runs out 100%. However the clutch start switch is going out and will need replacing to work correctly. It cranks everytime but you have to have the clutch pedal in a specific spot. Also the blend door for the A/C is stuck and will need a little attention. On the higher settings it lets a good bit of air come from the defrost rather than the vents on the dash. 132K Miles. WWW.WILSONMOTORCO.NET
$10500

2008 Ford F-250 Superduty. XLT Package. 4x4. 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel. Automatic transmission. Crew Cab. Long bed. Bedliner. 18" Chrome wheels. Keyless entry. Tow command. Towing package. CD player. Power seat. A nice looking and very presentable truck all around! Mechanically 100%. Truck runs and drives great. Will need nothing mechanically. Cosmetically the truck has a few small issues. The rear bumper has a small dent in it and the plastic pad is cracked. The dent can more than likely be removed and only a pad put on to be as it should. There are a couple of small dings and scuffs but overall the body is straight and clean. The inside of the bed is dirty but not abused. The interior is in good shape but not perfect. The drivers seat has some wear and a small tear but nothing major. The plastic on the drivers side is damaged but can easily be replaced. The carpet is clean. The tires are worn and are around 15%. They will need to be replaced soon but will be fine to drive on. This truck is not perfect but is very presentable. It will make a great company truck or work truck that you can be proud to represent your company in. 130K Miles. WWW.WILSONMOTORCO.NET
$19500

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD. Crew Cab. 4x4. SLT package. NEW 285/75/16 all terrains. Keyless entry. Bose 6-Disc stereo. Power/Heated leather seats. Sprayed in bedliner. Gooseneck hitch in bed (turnover ball). Truck is very nice and clean all around. No issues inside or out. 197K Miles. WWW.WILSONMOTORCO.NET
$10800

Last edited:
Jimbo can give you a realistic idea. His brother has a crew 5.4 F-250 and they have done some mileage research. I would estimate in the 10-12ish range. Obviously depending on where to and the load.

Ive got a '99 Cummins and just used 41 gallons to get to Windrock and back (~430 miles). That's about 10.5 mpg running 67-70mph on I40. My truck is heavy so maybe the mileage isn't as good as it should be. Be sure to compare $/mile and not miles/gallon. I've also gotta do a $50 oil change when the time comes and by $40 fuel filters. Around town empty I get 14mpg.

If I were gonna buy a truck for personal use these days I don't know which way i would go, gas vs. diesel. Yeah the diesel is a great puller but it's gonna cost you more is certain situations (bla, bla, bla).

any idea on mileage of the 5.4 red truck? towing with a 5.4?
I know this is not the same truck but I had an 02 F150 with the 5.4L, lighter and smaller, and towed with it with my xj and a heavy trailer. I averaged about 8mpg with the xj on it to Harlan and Tellico and other places around the SE. My new '09 gets close to 10 with a lighter trailer.

I think you can look for 10MPG towing easily. I may be wrong though. As I said hopefully Jimbo will chime in. He has some good experience with the 5.4 Superduty. Also a tune will do a lot for a gas engine believe it or not.

5.4 towing 10ish. around town 12-13 and highway 15-16. A comparably diesel will probably do 2 mpg better. By the time you factor in price of the truck, you will never save money. A 7.3 comparably to that red truck would be every bit of 15-16 grand. At 12 mpg in a gasoline truck in 15,000 miles you will spend about 3750 in fuel. At current prices in a diesel getting 15mpg you will spend 3750 as well. Last time I put diesel in the jetta it was 3.75/gal. Gasoline was 2.92 in the runner last night.

Basically dont buy a diesel to save money, because its NOT going to happen. But a diesel because you need/want the power and can afford all the other things that go with it. Not saying a diesel isn't awesome, because I love pulling with dads juiced up 7.3, just saying for most people including myself, its not worth it.

Now if I had a bunch of money........