Why no wishbone? (Not a discussion about chickens)

Why is the triangulated 4link more common then the wishbone? Which one is better and why?

Seem they would pretty much be/do the same thing and the wishbone looks to be simpler to build, but the triangulated is more common. Does the wishbone bind?

Just pondering and figured we could use some discussion for non Jeepers :flipoff2:

In the first pic of a wishbone it says it all... that one joint is taking all the side loads in a direction its not designed to. I would do a 3 link with trackbar over a wishbone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That Tri Link was a PITA to setup right on my jeep but at the time my **** was all booger trail repair wels made up of makeshift brackets. I'm sure that didn't help but my four link has been pie. Caramel pie with heath bar crumbles and whipped cream. I'm sitting in Drs office with my 3 day old daughter sleep deprived. Good talk!

My Purejeep rear stretch (Full Traction suspension components) uses a Y link for the uppers to eliminate the tracbar. I haven't had any issues with it on or off road. The rear suspension articulates just as good as it did prior to the stretch, happy, no complaints.

That Tri Link was a PITA to setup right on my jeep but at the time my **** was all booger trail repair wels made up of makeshift brackets. I'm sure that didn't help but my four link has been pie. Caramel pie with heath bar crumbles and whipped cream. I'm sitting in Drs office with my 3 day old daughter sleep deprived. Good talk!
Congrats!

Your 4 link has a side load on it too then. It's just a 4 link with one less joint for all intents and purposes. And it allows more triangulation too.

Last edited:
From the pics it looks like those upper joints are parallel. If they were triangulated like a four link, then it would not be an issue, but at that point why not use two links... I will say that if you wanted to do a wishbone, the way they have the uniball at the axle is the way to do it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk