3rd gen 4runner build

well I have mentioned the truck on here a few times but i figured i would go into detail. I wanted something more mild that I could expo in and go wheel without towing. It will also keep me entertained until i get my cruiser finished.
First I started out with a bone stock 4runner that had paint falling off the bumper, 4 different tires, a hella oil leak, and it skipped to its own loo. Literally, it hated hills.
runnerstock.jpg
The night i bought it i immediatly took it out to goof around on a man made rock pile:
found out bald tires suck
runnerstock2.jpg
Well I came across the truck at a local carlot with a pocket full of cash from looking at an 04 rover. Sorry rover people, it was crap. I paid him for the runner, then sat at his desk and called 4wheel parts. I ordered the arb bumper and daystar 2.5 inch lift before I left the lot. I then called a buddies tire shop and ordered the 265/75r16 hankook atms. That thursday a big box showed up.
boxogoodies.jpg
In order to mount the arb I had to cut about 2.5-3 inches off the front of my framerails with my semi trusty friend the torch. This took awhile to figure out because arb changed their bracket design to a crappier one. I finally found a youtube video posted by arb that showed where to cut and how much. If you do this you have to cut all the way to the radiator mount. Then the best way to mount the brackets is to use the bottom tow bolts and then weld the crush cans to the frame. I figure since i had to cut so much to mount it ill never go back to the stock bumper so it didnt matter to weld the bracket to the frame. The bumper then mounted to those brackets and was able to be adjusted.
bumpergoingon.jpg
That night she left the shop with new shoes stuffed under and some bumper bling.
bumpernolift.jpg

The next day i drove it back to the shop and took it apart for the lift. The daystar uses a poly mount that goes on top of the strut. In order to get the coil back on the strut you have to use a compressor to squeeze the coil. It doesnt squeeze enough until its about to kill you and you feel very not safe. hence no pick of this part.
the very next morning it was off to the trail:
firstdaytrail.jpg
she performed well, but did not flex at all:
noflex.jpg
Well i didnt have the funds to fiddle with the rear suspension so I plugged along how it was and went camping. Forgot to mention that I also figured out a 1st gen rollbar will fit in the back. While it probably provides zero protection, it does however allow for a place to mount my spare, attach camping stuff to it, mount an extinguisher, and other goodies while keeping them out of the way so i can sleep in it. It also looks nifty.
rollbar.jpg
camping.jpg
Next Mods were lights to brighten my adventures (although they are not working bc i have been waiting over 2 months for a dang lense)
and a set of yakima racks to hold more stuff.
4runnercanoe.jpg
Finally this past weekend I was able to address the flex issue. A set of autozone 80 series cruiser shocks and removal of the rear sway bar freed up alot. It drives fine without the bar because the shocks are much stiffer than the 220k ones i removed. I will probably still make some discos for it though.
4runnerflex.jpg

ive got some more stuff ill add later. Also ended up finding out the valve cover bolts were finger tight. tightened them and that solved the oil leak, and then threw some ngk plugs and wires at it. It is fairly capable with the elocker in the rear and is able to get around 20 mpg on the interstate, so so far it is serving its purpose.

Well after my adventures saturday I went to the greenwood mudbog and played around on the rock/pipe/junk pile. This proceded to finish off my factory gas tank skid. It is smushed far enough into my tank that it is 3 gallons short of what it was. It also causes the guage to have lost some accuracy. I am probably going to copy what this guy did for now:
skid.jpg
For those that cant see, he beat the stock skid as straight as he could and then welded 1/4 inch steel to it.
Eventually I will probably mount either an Izuzu or F150 tank behind the rear frame rails. Also going to do some poly rack and pinion bushings that ill post some pictures of the process when i get to it.

Well, after the 4runner embarrassed itself at the hushhole i decided it was time for some upgrades, the moons aligned and I was able to do this with no cash investment. I traded a tire to wesbowl for some 9 wrap cruiser springs to go in the rear(super long and flexy, and hold weight much better), Got some 3 inch aluminum top plates for my front struts, scooped a deal on some fj wheels, and scooped another deal on some 285/70r17 Goodyear duratracs.

Will try to get it together in the next few weeks. Oh and heres the new wheels:
fjwheels.jpg

well I got some work done last night. The coils are pretty darn long and the rear sits about an inch- inch and a half higher than I want, but between high tech experimentations of putting a fat person on the bumper and putting a skinny person on the bumper and measuring, we came to the conclusion that after I get a bumper on the back with a tire carrier It ought to put it right where I want it. Heres a few pics, and the a pic of the guys runner who got my old tires and wheels.
IMG_3412.jpg
Taller coils:
IMG_3415.jpg
Sitting outside:
IMG_3421.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg