New pair of boots

Looking into getting a new pair of boots for hiking and general use when work boots aren't going to cut it. Jan '10 i bought a pair of Garmont Syncro with gore tex from outdoor adventure in Clemson for a fairly good price. I have only put a small amount of miles/use into them but the soles are already seperating and coming apart, they have Vibram's so i thought about looking into getting them replaced/fixed but I honestly just haven't been happy with them.

048609f9.jpg

I bought them for a trip to Cleveland where i would be in the snow and walking a lot. When looking i had narrowed it down to the ones i bought and a pair of Vasque Sundowner http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7142-vasque/7142-vasque-mens-sundowner-gtx-burgandy I had always heard good things about the vasque and know people that have them and love them after many many years of use. The guy at O.A. talked me out of them because he knew i was going to be getting on a plane the next day without having time to break them in and said i would be miserable with how stiff they are.

I have had several pairs of merrell shoes, and haven't been impressed with how quick they have worn out. I do believe in you get what you pair for, I've had the same pair of chaco sandals for 9 almost 10 years and they have been a great investment. I'm not trying to break the bank though but will pay for quality. Waterproof is a must as well.

What are yall wearing and any suggestions?

Nobody has any input? Do all you pansies wear chuck Taylor's or something?

Going to visit Santa in a few days at the mall and need my Christmas list made or else I'll be getting coal like last year.

I liked my merrels for many years, but they dont seem to last like they used to... I think quality control has gone down hill.

I like the feel of my keens, but they dont breath as well as my merrels, but they are more waterproof. The keens just look really wide because of the snub nose toe they have. If you can get past the looks they fit really well for me and seem to last.

Here is what i have been wearing. And i know they are mid level, not high like you were looking at, but they have the same shoe in a high rise as well.
http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/p...trailhead/targhee ii/dark shadow!harvest gold

high version
http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/p...lhead/targhee ii mid/dark shadow!bronze green

Ya I Agree there quality has just gone downhill. I have seen a lot of keen lately that I liked and they seem quality. Guy welds in a pair everyday and they have held up great from what I can see. I have wide feet anyways so a snub nose doesnt bother me to much. I'll check out those you posted, I like a higher boot.

Last edited:
I've been using a pair of North Face Plasmas for 4 years now. They were fine until that joke of a lacing system called BOA broke. I drilled them out and put laces in them and kept on trucking. I will admit though, I used my Adidas this past weekend at Table Rock.

ive always ran merrels because my feet like them. I went on a 5 day backpacking trip on a brand new pair in highschool without an issue, not one blister. There were other people on trip who had their feet wrapped in ducttape by the second day. I have had more problems with the virbram soles wearing out than the actual boot. I have a heavy leather boot for when the support is needed along with the warmth and a lighter synthetic boot for wearing around. I have never had good luck with northface until the recent set of trail runners i scooped on sale at mast general.

I have a pair of Asolos that I wore every day for the three month back packing trip I did and I will never buy another brand. I took choosing boots very seriously and tried everything. I found my asolos to be comfortable tough durable and they have had great life.

I really like my Georgia Boots. Had them for about year or a year and a half now. I wear them for yard work, fishing, and shrimping. My feet stay dry while shrimping even when the rest of my body is soaked

I have a pair of 8" Redback tactical response boots that I wouldn't trade for anything.
I have been wearing the 6" Rocky zip ups for years. I get a pair every year from work, and for me being on concrete for 9+hr a day they hold up & wear well.

You could always buy a pair of Danners. They are the boots I wear at work. Can't beat being basically water proof, feet stay dry, comfortable, and I have had a pair that I wore for a whole deployment and the year after and were still great

I went to outdoor adventures yesterday and talked to a few guys there and tried on some boots. I narrowed it down to the Vasque that i posted or the Keen pyrenees. I'm leaning towards the Keen, they were comfortable, lightweight and seemed to be built stout. The vasque are really nice but they would definitely take a good while to break in and i'd probably break an ankle trying to do so, but they would last me for 10-15 years. I've always heard good things about Keen so unless i go to the new REI and find something i like better, i'll probably go with the Keen.

I've got enough work boots to get by for a long time. I've had several pairs of Georgia boots and they have all been pretty good but my most recent pair that i've worn everyday are Wolverine and although i thought i was going to die trying to break them in, they have probably been the best pair of work boots i've ever had.

they had the exact boots from vasque you were looking off for 54% off on steep and cheap, if you are interested in them, may be worth waiting on them to pop up again, should be in the next day or so.

I just downloaded there app to keep my eye out on it, i'd get them for the right price. They had them on sale at O.A. for $120 and i thought that was a pretty good deal.

I've had multiple pairs of vasue. Great boots, I think RedWing actually makes them.Probly got 5-6 years out of each pair worn every single day. Ive enjoyed my Asolo fugitive Gtx's. They don't require any break in period and both pair also lasted for years. My current boot is a Raichel, prob alittle stiff for most people because they are mild mountaineering boot made for crampons. But they aretop quality with no sign of giving up for years to come. Check out sierra trading post in Cody Wyoming for sales. They usually have good deals on all kinds of gear.

I decided to pick up a pair of the Keen pyrenees from backcountry.com, got them for $112 with free 2 day shipping. Looking forward to putting some time in them and doing some hiking soon so i'll report back with how i feel about them.