tow pig.. questions

i found a 2004 f250 with 55k 2wd w/triton 5.4L V8... reading reviews it says..Crappy gas consumption but awesome towing.
Every one i talk to tells me to hold off and get a 4x4 for my tow pig.
What do you all think?

This would be my 1st tow pig. Is a 2wd truck ok? or should i look for a 4x4?
diesel vs gas is an other subject all together..

Thanks
mark

I wouldn't care about the 4x4 just to pull stuff...

I WOULD on the other hand worry about those ignition systems. That engine has the coil packs that go out ALL the time. My step dads truck skips... constantly. We'll replace one then another one will go out... Might just be his truck but we've had bad luck.

2WD is not so bad as long as it is tow only and you are in gravel and on flat land. 5.4 F-250's get around 10-12 MPG in the 4wd model. Don't know on the 2wd. The diesels should get 18-20 depending on what you ge and what you do to it. But, the diesel cost a ton more and costs more to maintain. It really all boils down in the end on how much you use it to tow I think. If your pulling a lot, get a diesel. If you pull once a month get a gas truck and a small truck or small car to DD.

My wife has a Hyundai.. DD car. Not worried about driving to work. The XJ is no longer streetable. so I have to tow it now to the trails. The Rubicon will still be my DD im only 6 miles from work.
I ll test drive the Truck on monday and see if its something i want or just wait a bit longer.. I want to get a truck/trailer before june at the latest..Im going to Superlift orv in june.

I had a 2WD for a few years towing my jeep. worked great, didnt have a problem. it was a 3/4 chevy with gas motor. i havnt had a need to use a 4wd tow rig. If you did get stuck you could take your towed rig off the traielr and get the tow vehicle unstuck ;) I would worry bout gulches parking lot. Heck that fears me in my 4x4 truck hahaha. Or at least the last time i was there and it was just a maze of ruts and dugouts from being washed out. 2WD would be fine. a 4x4 tow rig is just a bit more gravy.

I'm fortunate to have the choice between a 4wd work truck and a 2wd personal tow rig and I'll share with you my thoughts.
We went to Morris Mountain on Black Friday last November and it was a rainy trip there and drizzle on and off while we were there. I chose to take my Work Truck to pull the Jeep and boy I'm glad I did! When we got there, the place was a mess in the parking area. Most of the parking area at Morris Mtn. is in and around trees with little or NO gravel. I had to put it in 4wd to pull in and park and then 4wd to leave. If I had taken the 2wd truck it would have been worthless.
And like DanStew said above, other places can be tough to get in and out of even with 4wd.

I've got a 99f250 7.3L diesel 2wd. "Old Earl" as we affectionally call him. 290k on him now and he's been a good tow rig and all around family vehicle as its a crew cab. We drive him on trips even most times because it has the most room for a kid seat and two dogs.

Aside from the fluff junk, the 7.3L is unstoppable and has plenty of power to pull anything you want it to and especially on the 2WD still get reasonable gas mileage just driving around town. In regards to the 2wd vs 4wd. In about the 6 years I've had it, I can count on a single hand the times that I wish or needed it to have 4wd. Its NEVER been an issue when I was towing something, always when I was somewhere without towing (ice/snow in Indiana one time, someones soft back year retrieving junk etc)

To me, the upside gas mileage and less overall upfront price tag of the truck weighed higher in my mind than NOT having 4wd.

just .02

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I will never own a truck or suv that isn't 4wd (unless its a SS Trailblazer or SRT Ram). I use the truck for hunting and around the property too, and drove it to work during the snow this winter, but even towing I have needed it many times. I've been at gulches and needed it to get out the parking lot. Harlan last year I needed it to get out of the driveway. I've put boats in on ramps that needed 4wd to get back up the ramp... Its just nice to have when you need it...

5.4 is not a bad set up but if i were wanting a gasser 2wd id scoop a gm. With the 6.0 and a govloc rear you will tow what you need and rarely miss 2wd. Ive had a 5.4 super duty and two 6.0 chevys and the 6.0 chevy will walk the dog on the 5.4. However the 5.4 is not bad it will do what ever you want it to as long as it doesnt involve getting in a big hurry. There have been times ive needed 4x4 while pulling but most of those times i have been in a situation where a took the chance because I had 4x4.

also my bros 5.4 crew cab 4x4 03 model gets about 12 in town and pushes 15 on the road. A comparable diesel may get 2mpg more. Our 7.3 gets around 15 busting tail on the highway with a full banks set up and gear vendors double overdrive. Best ive pulled out of it is 17.5 or so going to augusta keeping it around 60. My brother seems to like his 5.4 truck and says it pulls as well as can be expected. Most he has had behind it is about 13k and it pulled ok motor wise. Wouldnt want to pull in the mountians all the time but the big factor is how well the rest of the truck holds the weight: trans, suspension, and brakes.

I agree with LBarr............... Save your money and do it right!!! But hell the hell is your jeep not streetable???????????
I will never own a truck or suv that isn't 4wd (unless its a SS Trailblazer or SRT Ram). I use the truck for hunting and around the property too, and drove it to work during the snow this winter, but even towing I have needed it many times. I've been at gulches and needed it to get out the parking lot. Harlan last year I needed it to get out of the driveway. I've put boats in on ramps that needed 4wd to get back up the ramp... Its just nice to have when you need it...

I vote save the money and build one hell of a streetable Jeep. For a few thousand you could build a fully tubed XJ buggy on tons and 40's that can do anything and everything you want like pull boat trailers and tackle the sickest trails you could ever imagine and still get decent gas mileage. Enjoy it while the laws are still lenient!!

i m gona hold off.. get 4x4 tow pig a bit later on..though after driving 5.5 hours to Morris Mountain with the white xj.. driving it hard, ripping the fenders up and flatting out the pretty quarters.. having a truck&trailer would have been sweet..

My xj is stechy but still street legal lol..

im gona keep my eyes open for tow pig..
Thanks for the feed back

If you don't want to sink alot of cash scoop you a mid 90s gasser with a 460 or 454. They can be had crazy cheap and are very reliable.

If alls it does is tow then gas really isn't an issue and a gas is alot better suited for sitting and being used occasionally than a diesel. Diesels like to run and can develop surprises if it sits. Unless you scoop an old 7.3 IDI. Those are dirt simple reliable motors. They wont win any races but can be had cheap and a monkey can peform most repairs on them.

alright.. just picked it up from Wrays..
My credit aint the best but i was still able to get it.
a 2007 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 hemi. 71k miles for $17400
its gold tan ish color.. cloth interior short bed.
its got a 4x4 Lock option? whats that?