Handguns

So I'm planning to get a handgun in the near future. After going with my father in law to get a glock 17 last weekend and buying 250 rounds, I have a new plan.

I think i want to get a 22 pistol for when we go to the range, and a 9mm to use for self defence.

I'm torn on what to get though. Keep going back to an LC9 or even down to an LCP or going with a larger framed gun like the glock.

Larry, can you list off the guns I shot at the range day that you had. Feels like there were 20 different guns that I shot that day, and I'm having trouble remembering what they were.

anybody have any suggestions?... or guns for sale? :grin:

Last edited:
I will when I get something...

I found that thread we had going before and tony suggested a S&W sigma series, and the sigma 9mm seems like it could fit my bill. any experience with that handgun?

Greenville has an indoor range that will let you try out a bunch of different ones and they sell guns too. My buddy has bought 4 or 5 from there and they have pretty reasonable prices. From what I've watched though they are highly contagious as he has like 7 with lights and strobes, and has 1 or 2 he carries living in Spartanburg.

From the people I've talked to, they all say get a .40 over a 9mm as the 9mm just doesn't have enough punch and the .40 can be shot just as well with little practice. I have a 22 revolver I play around with and it's a blast and I don't feel bad about shooting 100 rounds.

Call schmo doesn't he own his own firearm company?

We should have an offroadsc event some Saturday and shoot guns and ****. Bonfire and BBQ too.

Greenville has an indoor range that will let you try out a bunch of different ones and they sell guns too. My buddy has bought 4 or 5 from there and they have pretty reasonable prices. From what I've watched though they are highly contagious as he has like 7 with lights and strobes, and has 1 or 2 he carries living in Spartanburg.

From the people I've talked to, they all say get a .40 over a 9mm as the 9mm just doesn't have enough punch and the .40 can be shot just as well with little practice. I have a 22 revolver I play around with and it's a blast and I don't feel bad about shooting 100 rounds.

Call schmo doesn't he own his own firearm company?

We should have an offroadsc event some Saturday and shoot guns and ****. Bonfire and BBQ too.
I was looking at 9mm because the ammo was cheaper.

and we had a big guns range day in august with bbq and guns. But i'm down for another.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I had:
Walther P22 .22
Walther PK380 .380
Taurus ultralite revolver .38 special
Springfield XD40 .40

I think you also shot Tripp's Bodyguard .380 and Glock 9mm and maybe my brother's Glock 23C .40.

Are you still in the same price range? A friend at work got a s&w sigma from academy sports for $279.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I wouldn't let the price of ammo make your decision. You probably won't be shooting it enough to really matter, especially if you have a .22 also.

The older model XDs, like mine, have gotten pretty cheap. I see them on sale at Palmetto State Armory pretty often and there is a 3 inch subcompact model. I love the new XDm 3.8 compact, but they're still pretty high.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Dang dude, how much PUNCH does someone need? lol
There's a huge difference between 9mm and 40, but there are a lot of people that carry 25 or 22 calibers as concealed carry guns. It's all a compromise of what you can conceal and what you feel comfortable with. If you ever have to draw on a person, you would hope that it would scare them off. If not, you unload. 10 rounds from a .22 will put somebody down if necessary. But, if a bear is charging you in the woods, a small caliber won't cut it. There's also a big difference between a .40 and .45 ;)

I own a .40 Baretta that I keep at the house at all times. I've carried it on camping and kayaking trips in the past but have come to the conclusion that it's just to much hassle. In short, I'm not a gun person.

Dang dude, how much PUNCH does someone need? lol
I was told that the first thing you do to a 9mm after you buy it is file off the front sight. So after you empty the magazine and it still doesn't stop the perpetrator it won't hurt as bad when he shoves it up your ***.

I'm strictly a .40 and up guy myself and refuse to compromise due to ammo availability or price. .45 acp or GTFO! :grin:

yep... 45 all the way.

if you are buying the gun for protection and you are planing to have another gun for target shootin anyway, go with something with some knock down power.

you will probably end up buying some nice expensive home defense rounds for it anyway so what does if matter if the regular ammo is high.

Last edited:
I have a S&W Sigma .40. It's a great weapon.
I had one of those as my first newly purchased handgun. It was called a SW40VE then I think. Not bad but it's a licensed Glock knockoff. I found a trigger mod on the S&W forums that reduced it pull to about 4lb instead of 13lb(what they measure approx stock). Not exactly the most accurate but a great buy for self defense.