Palmetto Trail (Peak to Pomaria)

Well last Saturday as I was packing the jeep for the swap meet my brother called me up and asked if I wanted to take the dogs out for the day. Knowing I had nothing to sell and was going to drive 3 hours just to shoot the **** with some guys for a few hours I figured this would be a good alternative.

We loaded up the bikes and dogs and headed for the Parr Shoals Trail Head of the Palmetto Trail.

This section of trail is about 7 miles long to get to Pomaria and we continued another 2 miles over to the end of the completed section at koon trestle road.

There are about 14 Geocaches in this section, Two creek side campsites, and numerous old railroad bridges in this section. We had a blast and spend most of the day out there exploring the area.

Here are a few of the pics I took.

It would make a nice trip in the spring to bike in and camp on the creek.

More info on the trail HERE

pb120012.jpg

pb120013.jpg

pb120014.jpg

pb1200lxl.jpg

MAP OF THE AREA

I'm glad to see that section of PT completed. About 2 years ago I paddled up the creek coming off the Broad river and stumbled upon the Train tressel with a sign on top reading "temporary end of trail". Glad it's finally done.

yeah, they are still working on the trail, some of the railroad bridges still dont have railings. They just finished the bridge over the broad river a year ago.

The path is an old railroad bed so in places it can be loose gravel, but for the most part it is very nice for walking and bike riding.

figured I would update this thread with my tracks from this weekend. I have been out a couple more times since this thread started, and its been a fun time each trip. Sometime this winter or spring I would like to go back out and go on through to phase 2 that they have completed. Its supposed to be in much better shape than the scouting trip weston and I made in 2011.

palmettotr.jpg