Great craigslist find, warn 8274

found a warn 8274 for only 120 bucks! talk about a steal, the guy had no idea what he had. its going to be fun rebuilding this thing too! if anyone knows anything about these winches let me know so i can go to you if i have questions!

i'm only having problems getting the gears out cause they really need to be cleaned up. i tried sending you a text, but give me call whenever. thanks

Last edited:
here are some pics of the rebuild... me and my retarded self did not take a picture of what it looked like before i started wrenching haha it came with wire that i will honestly sell to someone for like 10 bucks if they want it, i don't need it, and it has most of the break components. there is some more pictures on my jeepforum build thread on pg 6.

this thing was made april 6th 1976! talk about an old winch. it completely amazes me that this is still warns fastest drawing winch and its been around since 1974

DSCF2238.jpg

DSCF2240.jpg
I think i'm going to bite the bullet and order a new motor instead of trying to salvage this one.
DSCF2237.jpg
DSCF2243.jpg
DSCF2244.jpg

DSCF2247.jpg

talk about something that needed some TLC!

well some people online said to try letting it free fall then stopping it before it gets to the ground.... well that didn't work for me. so i tried this

11181114571.jpg
and it didn't work :frowny::confused:

Last edited:
started sandblasting it tonight, only did it for like an hour, but it cleaned it up like a top. everything is looking much better and will be super easy to paint on.

will post a few pics tomorrow afternoon.

I've been trying to find ways people have built bumpers and what not for them and sunk them into them and have been coming up some what short.

The big plate that most of the 8274 have that bolt on to the front, is that a must? I was trying to design something in my head to make that less bulky looking, i think thats one thing i dont like it visually.

How much do you think the 8274 weighs? Been reading a lot about them and seem they are about 100 but had a lot of wide numbers.

ehhh 100 is a little bit much. maybe 100 with winch plate, fairlead, and with wire. i'd say all together it prob ways 70 to 80 pounds with synthetic. and yeah the big plate is a must because the 8274's bolts in the winch are on the front. thanks for the pics for some ideas.