Beadlocks Coning

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I noticed that when I put the beadlocks on the Jeep that they bent a little bit after tightening the first time. I didn't really know if that was a problem (and still don't) but after a little research it appears to be called coning. Where the outer part of the beadlock ring sits on the tires bead but isn't supported closer to the center of the wheel so it kind of deforms into a cone shape. My beadlocks are all aluminum TrailReady 15"x8". Is this coning effect anything to worry about?

Looking at it in a logical way (without over thinking the engineering), with the inner edge of the ring in a bit it helps the wheel slide off of rocks.

Once I get my Jeep in the shop and cleaned up (wheels currently packed with mud), I'll take some pictures. But until then, what's the common opinion on this?

This is why they make anti coning rings to prevent the bending of the rings due to overnighting or improper torque sequence. Not sure if there are options in aluminum but I know there were when I built my first set of steel beadlocks a few years back and used them. They are basically a 3/16ish wide by 1/4ish strip of steel that is bead rolled into a diameter that basically fits to the inside of where the bolt holes are through the rim. Then you stitch weld them on and they provide support to the inside of the ring so you don't have to worry about it bending.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
But I guess my main question is.... Is the ring coning such a bad thing. What bad outcome could it possibly cause?

I experienced some minor (OK, major!) coning on my first set of steel beadlocks. Even with the recommended torque spec of 15 ftlb. They were already coned when I got them though. My new ones have done good so far. I wouldn't worry about it too much.