Antique finds

(Tools, furniture, Indian arrowheads, maritime, etc....)
Every now and then I run into some cool stuff while out plundering. I've always loved old stuff and learning about the history of certain items.

Most recent find is this:
photobucket-13361-1320070281581.jpg
photobucket-6449-1320070184827.jpg

I found this in the Santee Cooper swamp along the old railroad bridges over the weekend. I was floating around some very old pilings in the kayak and just happened to look down and saw an unusually shaped object submerged in about 2 feet of water. I took it home and cleaned it up hoping to find some markings of some sort but haven't found any yet. It measures exactly 20" long, ~1 5/16" open end x ~1 1/8" open end. It is without a doubt an old railroad tool. I knocked off some of the corrosion and discovered that it has a nickel plating underneath. I also tried it on some of the old bolts and it fit like a charm. Knowing how old the bridges are close by I'm pretty sure this wrench may very well be close to 200 years old. :grin:
I've seen tools similar to this go for a few hundred dollars because they're quite rare.

When I saw the pictures on my phone it reminded me. Somebody on pirate found the same kind of wrench a few months ago. They dug up some info on them. I tried searching but i cant find the thread.

I've been able to find a little here and there. I'm not sure what brand it is since it's so corroded. A name would be helpful. I'm also trying to find out some details on the railroad bridge where I found it. If it turns out to be part of the old Branchville railway, it would mean that it was used to build the oldest railway in the world. http://www.patsabin.com/lowcountry/branchville.htm

Last edited:
I've got a building full of old tools , hit and miss engines , maytags , and more . Hollar if you want to see my junk , have over 150+ things . A bunch of years of picking up things !