TJ Rear Shock Mount

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I am wondering about the rear lower shock mount location on my TJ with the 8.8. Does the shock have to be mounted to the underside of the axle? It leaves is very vulnerable. I already ruined one Teraflex shock by backing into a rock. What are the options for either relocating or protecting the lower end of the shock?

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I am assuming that this is for performance reasons. Because the lower part of the shock looks like it is just as vulnerable.

Greg what rear upper arms are you running? There's a build on jeepforum I like of a tj on short arms with rockkrawlers 4 link upper kit and outboarded shocks that seems to work. He used polyperformance frame brackets and it eliminated the jacking that's common with most short arm lifts.

I am assuming that this is for performance reasons. Because the lower part of the shock looks like it is just as vulnerable.

i moved mine up because i didnt want them hanging down as you were saying. But in order to move the lower mount up and still run a decent length shock you either have to cut holes in your tub or outboard them. I'm running 10" travel shocks similar to yours and they dont hang below the axle at all.

When we do mine in a few months, I can do a write up for the board if anyone is interested....

Greg, your 8.8 is on a stock set up right? Not 4-linked? You will run into the same issue that Brooks and I originally found with the rear trackbar mount. IF you are going to outboard, you might as well 4 link to (ahem....) make it easier :)

There is a write up on how to do it with the track bar being left in place on Jeep Forum. I will see if I can find it, or maybe Brooks can link it if he still has it.

a little late but yeah i'd outboard. get f250 shock towers and cut inserts into the frame and put them in. then you can get a 12 to 14 inch shock in there. i'm pretty sure there are a few right ups on jeepforum about it

I'm about to order the ford towers online to run front and rear, I'll post the link where I found the cheapest. I'll post pics when I put them in on my jeep although it may be a little different since I have spring replicators. I plan to run a 12" shock front & rear to bring the travel.

I'm about to order the ford towers online to run front and rear, I'll post the link where I found the cheapest. I'll post pics when I put them in on my jeep although it may be a little different since I have spring replicators. I plan to run a 12" shock front & rear to bring the travel.
wtf is a spring replicator?