Balancing Tires

Is anyone happy with their tires balanced with balancing beads?

The beads in my tires will balance sometimes, and at other times they will be very out of balance. There seems to be no method to the madness.

I have the large bag of dynabeads in each tire. I'm wondering if I should go back to lead stick on weights and put them on the inside of the rim?

Any suggestions or comments?

Can I have them balanced with the dynabeads inside? I would like to experiment with that.

Funny you should bring that up because I've been pondering on the same ideas lately myself and was going to ask you about it.

X2. It's not at all a consistent balance. Seems almost as though change in weather does effect them somehow.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm happy. They do go out of balance sometimes but it's never very bad. Then usually a stop and go will fix the issue. I don't see how the lead weights would work with as much abuse the tires and rims take. I ran home with my beadlocks full of mud and it felt balanced. I just don't think a static balance would hold up long.

its hard to stop and reset them when your on the interstate. mine were also better when they were new...now they are less than comfortable at some speeds. I'm talking about putting weights on the inside of the rim (stick on weights, not clips on the inside edge) and having some dynabeads to account for the small issues.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I would think you'd have to remove the dynabeads, balance, then put them back.

I'm going to try them out on the XJ. The little bit that the sami has been on the road they have felt balanced.

I would think you'd have to remove the dynabeads, balance, then put them back.

I'm going to try them out on the XJ. The little bit that the sami has been on the road they have felt balanced.
the problem I have is that they are balanced say... 75% of the time, but sometimes it just gets the shakes. Its not at a certain speed because sometimes I can be doing the same speed, go a bit faster and the shakes start, then when i slow back down to the previous speed the shakes keep going. Its not one speed they start at. I would try taking them out, it will suck though as I put black RTV on the back bead to keep it from burping air like my old TSLs did.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The only way I could think that is possible is to remove the dynabeads and then balance the tires. Then put the beads back in. Because they work with the flat spot created by the weight of the vehicle so running them in a tire on a balancing machine will give inaccurate results. I would not be able to do this because I run the offroad dynabeads that will not fit through the valvestem. So obviously balancing a tire and the taking it apart to insert the beads would be counterproductive.

The only way I could think that is possible is to remove the dynabeads and then balance the tires. Then put the beads back in. Because they work with the flat spot created by the weight of the vehicle so running them in a tire on a balancing machine will give inaccurate results. I would not be able to do this because I run the offroad dynabeads that will not fit through the valvestem. So obviously balancing a tire and the taking it apart to insert the beads would be counterproductive.
how do they rely on the flat spot of the tire? i would think they just spread out to the outer most point on the tire?

Which tires are you referring too? AT's or MT's?
the MTs. My ats are balanced normally.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
how do they rely on the flat spot of the tire? i would think they just spread out to the outer most point on the tire?
that is what I thought at first. But on their website, that is actually one of the FAQ's. Not to run them in a balancing machine. It has something to do with the tire no being round when going down the road under the weight of the vehicle and that is not simulated on a machine.

that is what I thought at first. But on their website, that is actually one of the FAQ's. Not to run them in a balancing machine. It has something to do with the tire no being round when going down the road under the weight of the vehicle and that is not simulated on a machine.
hmm i didnt know that dam, that totally messed up my theory haha.

I wonder what an old school bubble balance machine could tell? If the beads roll to the needed area then even if the tire was laying horizontal they still would? Sometimes I wonder if I'm using enough airsofts in mine. In theory, there's no such thing as "too many".

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
For anyone else that comes along, here is the link to the Dynabeads Questions and Answers page: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm.

And here is the one that covers this topic:

Q: Can I put the tire on a balancer to see if it's working?
A: No. Dyna Beads operates on physics principles, and requires the tire assembly to be in motion against a road surface to detect the exact counterbalance position. An electronic balancer has a solid, fixed mount, and does not allow the tire to react to imbalance.

Now with that information, I still think it is possible. It would just take some more preparation since you already have the beads in the tires. You would have to remove the beads, reassemble the tires/beadlocks, take them and get them balanced and then put the beads back in. They would have to be the small ones that can be inserted through the valve stem.

But even then. I think it's a waist of time/money. The abusive environment that we put our tires and wheels through changes the balance all the time. The work that you put into this would be wasted in a couple of trips to the rocks. Heck, at Bumpus Cove, I remember JR knocking off most of the outer lugs on his front left tire on one obstacle, that would have ruined a static balance.

I wonder what an old school bubble balance machine could tell? If the beads roll to the needed area then even if the tire was laying horizontal they still would? Sometimes I wonder if I'm using enough airsofts in mine. In theory, there's no such thing as "too many".
I was reading this morning, and there are plenty of people that think they have put "too many" in. they said it was undrivable

I know Discount Tire on Platt Springs Road has one, as does Love Chevy, and Firestone on Clemson Rd. Whether or not they can handle a 35, I don't know. I do know they can handle 33's....Midlands Tech on Airport has one as well, although they do not always have it available. You would have to get in contact with the guy that runs the automotive program there to see if they have it running this semester.

I've been experimenting with airsofts now for a while, usually I measure by grams. The ones I use now are the .25 gram large pellets. Before I did the beadlocks everything was smooth as silk between the BFGs and the TSL radials on the same steel wheel. When I did the beadlocks at first it was OK but it's hit or miss. The last trip to URE was the roughest ride i've ever experienced. Come to find out it was a huge glob of mud stuck to the inside of the wheel out of sight. Apparently the pellets were not enough to counteract the weight of the mud ball which leads me to believe that more is merrier. Then there's also the lugs missing here and there, so many little factors it makes my head spin.