fj40 build plans.

so im trying to decide what i want to do. My fj40 in its current state is not what i want any more. currently it set up as follows:
de-leafed skyjacker 4 inch springs
bilstien 7100's
factory 2f inline 6 with jap spec granny gear fj trans and stock case.
stock axles with aussie lockers.
warn winch
metaltech stinger and a bunch of other custom tube work.
Crusher corners
ford mineral grey paint.
and some other stuff.

its approaching the two year anniversery of its current rebuild and i want a different setup. I want fuel injection, i want either an auto or an overdrive manual with better gearing, and i would like a v8. I want more space for gear and dogs. More comfort and some a/c. I accomplished most of that with my 4runner, but i want a cruiser that will do what the runner will do.

Cruiser now:
fj40flex.jpg
fj40rearflex.jpg

and my runner:
4runnerPK.jpg

Im thinking to get what I want i probably need to sell my 40 and start over from scratch. There just not enough parts left that i would use to justify keeping it.
Im thinking an 18 inch stretch aqualu tub.
a custom frame or a stretch on an exisiting stock frame i could purchase.
linked suspension.(possibly, i havent really driven one that i liked how it drove at speed, so maybe leafs.)
may run linked rear with leaf front.
dodge dana 60 (3 inches narrower than a chevy setup)
shaved ff 14 bolt or a semifloat 14.
5.3 or 5.7 vortec. with their original fuel injection.
4l60e automatic or nv4500
np205 with lomax gears.
a/c and heat
comfortable seats
back seat
good strong cage with lots of headroom (dont have much headroom now)
good power steering setup probably with hydro assist.
37 inch tire on a blingish 17 or 18 inch wheel.
selectable lockers.

Main goal is to have a strong wheelable truck that i can drive everyday if i want and still be fairly capable. I hate towing a rig and keeping up a tow rig and trailer. I would maybe even limit the tire to a 35 and be able to tow a small camper. I can get a 16ft camper that weighs in the neighborhood of 2200 lbs.

This is a cruiser with the tub i want. I would like to model mine pretty close to this one:
fj43icon.jpg

I would like to have the fj for truck stuff and daily drive another car.

Those sound like some gret plans Jimbo. I would feel comfortable with a link suspension at high speeds if you set it up correctly. If you put a sway bar of any kind on it you should be very comfortable. The one ton stuff sounds great but you will probably want to narrow the 14 bolt if you go with the Dodge front. However, Dodge front's are easier and cheaper to come by. Lomax gears is HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIigh. You can probably justify an Atlas if your gonna go that route.

Last edited:
Like we were kind of talking earlier, I would like the same pretty much idea but in jeep form. My ultimate goal is to have a rig that I can dd and wheel comfortably with little as sacrifice from either side. I drove my jeep everyday for 5 years and that's what I'd like to get back to doing, maybe not everyday but at least a few times a week. My jeep drove surprisingly well on bald 35s, no sway bars and worn out bushings, for awhile at least then it became scary from lack of maintenance because I was so tired of touching it or spending money just to get to work/school. Now that I have my taco im fine with taking time to get to my ideal jeep.

Those aqualu tubs are badass but you'll be paying for it too, about 3k I believe for a tub. I say go for it and build it as you can without getting burned out. 5.3/nv4500/205 with 80 front and semi 14 bolt on 37s with your km2s or some 35s as your tires to pull your camper and long trips with. Linked front and rear would be sweet but I do like the nostalgia of an older toy on leafs

Sounds like a easy way to drop 10-15 stacks. But it will be a bad bitch when it's done. I would personally go with a coilover shock on each corner with the type of money you would be dropping in this swap. I don't think you'll ever get the ride quality or performance out of a leaf that a coilover can offer you. And with that said you will obviously be doing all new suspension and new leafs/shocks are gonna run you in the 1K range for good stuff where as you will be in the 2500 range on good quality link setup if you take your time and price things out. I like where your heads at though!

14 bolt rears are 63inch wms and dodge fronts are 67doing wms so wouldn't have to narrow the 14. As far as budget im figuring taking my time and hopefully getting deals and doing alot of work myself. Hoping to be able to do it for 15 grand plus what I can get for my cruiser. This would put me total in the 20-23 range total. I need to finish some odds and ends on the current truck and take inventory of what's good on the 72. I don't plan. On full diving into this until summer provided I can scoop a decent job upon graduation. Ill probably have the current one ready to sell around summer and be able to have to a decent good rolling chassis with a tub from that money, or atleast frame, tub, and engine sitting in the frame. Its ok if it takes a year or two to build if I get what I want in the end. I have the runner and explorer to entertain me till then

Even if I don't get a good job right off I can still do alot with what I can sell mine for. and i think the aqualu tub is definetly worth it, and it is almost half the price of a reproduction steel tub. To do what i want with mine it needs a tub, if im going to do a tub i want a stretch. when i listed mine last time I had alot of interest but chickened out of selling it.

Last edited:
haha u missed the part where i said im graduating and starting it after that. Selling mine and starting the chassis and body from the money i sell mine for will get me started and keep me occupied for awhile. Hopefully by the time im through with that part ill have enough money put up from working to be able to move to other areas. And its by no means going to be a quick project. I plan on it taking a year or two. Im not in a huge hurry. Ive gotten to a point where mine doesnt meet my needs/wants and im satisfied with taking a bit to build one that does. In the meantime ive got ol bessie to entertain me:
explorerkillintime.jpg
explorer2.jpg

I look at it this way: i really havent gotten a solid wheeling trip outta my cruiser in 2 years. I had fuel issues at Riverrock after completion, and every single gulches trip since i have broken a birf. No point in wheeling stuff that breaks and no point in spending money to upgrade what still wont do what i want. and heck whats another few years at this point

Last edited:
Looking at the http://www.aqualu.com/index.html 3800 for a custom aluminum tub isn't that bad, i'd pay it. Build the frame out of DOM and 2x4 box. Start with the frame and tub and go from there. You could spend a lot of money on it but i think if you were to do it slowly and take your time with it you'd have a sick rig that would make you happy, Instead of one that doesn't. Taking your time brings up deals as that you may think you couldnt afford. My build is nothing close the the magnitude of what you are talking at the moment, but i have been pretty pleased with some of the things i've come acrossed by taking my time and not trying to rush it, and the main factor that i'm broke and not trying to spend money. If i could find a wrecked LJ for just the tub i'd build my jeep off of it so i could possibly carry my minihorse around.

This is the Crawlorado 40 i was talking about
DSCN1134.jpg

yeah i plan on taking my time and hunting deals. I would also like to do alot myself and learn some areas im not familiar with. Proffit makes some awesome stuff. Ive acquired a lead on a very important starting area today so thats a good thing.

well the build continues on the current setup for now. A good setup kind of fell in my lap and may change my outlook on the truck once its done. Im ditching my cruiser trans for a sm465/dana 300 combo. The 300 is twin sticked as well. Need to decide if i want to run a centered rear cruiser axle or a mini truck rear with elocker. To make the centered cruiser axle you put the cruiser diff onto the mini truck tubes/shafts. This will make my rear non-cclip as well. With the elocked mini rear i get the selectable locker i want with some more ground clearance.

well the build continues on the current setup for now. A good setup kind of fell in my lap and may change my outlook on the truck once its done. Im ditching my cruiser trans for a sm465/dana 300 combo. The 300 is twin sticked as well. Need to decide if i want to run a centered rear cruiser axle or a mini truck rear with elocker. To make the centered cruiser axle you put the cruiser diff onto the mini truck tubes/shafts. This will make my rear non-cclip as well. With the elocked mini rear i get the selectable locker i want with some more ground clearance.
isnt the sm465 a 4 speed? talk about not road friendly?