1998 Jeep TJ Sahara- trade for stock TJ or sell outright

Yeah, the day after you came by a guy emailed me about it. I haven't decided what's next. I'm thinking a V8 WJ but not ruling out springing for a JK(I wanna check into some towing stories with those).

If you want to tow get a wj. A jk can barely pull itself. Just man up and get a 98-99 100 series cruiser. One of the most relieable platforms ever made, a frame, and selectable rear locker. I've had a few wjs I've sold and one I drove for a while. They are fast, comfortable, and pieces of crap. Horrible uncapable offroad in stock form, built crappy, and squeek. Also those 4.7s are known to randomly explode. Don't believe me go price out how much a replacement 4.7 is and how hard they are to get. In stock form my 4runner would walk the dog on my wj offroad. I wish it had the power though.....man this thing is slow, but not jk slow.

For the right price I would by another wj because it was alot of car for the money, but if your talking jk it sounds like your not afraid to splurdge for a better vehicle.

I've always like the WJ's but not near as much as the XJ's. I figure if Miller can tow his trail rig with his WJ at 85mph to Gulches, a boat to and from the lake, won't be an issue :grinpimp:

the wifes mom just picked up a 2012 jk with the 3.6 and tow package and its got some real pep. I bet it would tow a boat fine. In about 6 months you'll probably be able to find '12s used.

I'm gonna have to do some homework first. I've seen a few JK's in Lexington pulling boats but I'm not sold on a Wrangler towing period. Not yet at least. My XJ tows great so I doubt a JK has a power issue. More of a braking/wheelbase issue.

towing jk vs xj

JK curb weight 4500 xj 3375
advantage jk

jk wheelbase 116 xj 105.9
advantage jk

brake size jk 11.9 inch rotor xj 11.02
advantage jk

0-60 jk 11.5 sec xj 8.2
advantage xj.

Overall the jk should pull much better than the xj except for power which was fixed in 12 but a new one is very expensive. Also as far as towing they are worlds above a wj and xj as far weight and all out beefyness. They just have NO balls till 2012 that 3.8 is a pile o crap.

I vote 100 series too. But for what it's worth, if your not towing far, my 2.5l tj use to pull a 17' ski boat around all the time from upstate to charleston even. Sucked but it did it.

They have made diesel wk I'm pretty sure which would be sick.

I vote 100 series too. But for what it's worth, if your not towing far, my 2.5l tj use to pull a 17' ski boat around all the time from upstate to charleston even. Sucked but it did it.

They have made diesel wk I'm pretty sure which would be sick.
If I could find a clean totally stock TJ that's not overpriced I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I could manage the boat towing issue if I had to. That's originally what I wanted but this one came along very cheap so I bought it. I've been scouring the net the last day and a half and I'm in the same predicament I was 18 months ago. TJ's are overpriced and it's hard to find people that take care of their XJ's and WJ's.