Painting my hard doors...the cheap way

So I got a few prices for painting my hard doors and they were all upwards of $300...which I admit, If I wanted a perfect paint job I would gladly pay. But the rest of my jeep doesnt exactly scream "scratch free". So I decided to do it myself with some of the color match cans I had used in the past. The color code was PR4 for my jeep and i had seen in the past that the color match cans were pretty close to the actual color. I figured that a paint shop wouldn't be much closer.

Knowing what I know now I should have thrown down a coat of primer under the red, but from talking with some body guys they said it would adhere well to the existing paint. I used about 4 cans of red per door and then 3 cans of clear coat per door. I really used it thick on the outside in hopes of being able to polish it to a nice shine in about a week after it cures.

I sanded the doors down, alcoholed them down, sanded them again, taped them off, acoholed them, then sprayed down a tack coat. then I proceded to paint about 2 cans of red, then I wet sanded the doors, then I sprayed 2 more cans of red. Then I sprayed all the clear coats. I did wetsand one blemish in the clearcoat on one door then threw on the rest of the clear.

here are some pics, I'll put some more details in tomorrow.

Thanks. I was adding up the cost and all together it cost me about $84 to paint both doors. It did take me 3 days of sanding, disassembling, tapings, more sanding, painting, more sanding, painting, clearcoating...now wait a week, and then polish.

But for the money spent, I hope it was worth it. I'll find out in a few years i guess.

That looks pretty good brooks. To bad they dont make a color match in PV3. Amber fire... That would be nice.
They do, you just have to order it from MOPAR. I have same issue with Chillipepper red.

FYI Some paint shops can fill custom paint into spray cans. I haven't tried it yet but, I have talked to a couple and they say they can do it.

After doing all that, I wish I had just sprung for a hvlp gun from HF and gotten a cheap compressor. It would have taken half the time but been more expensive. But it would have been much easier.

On my list of to-do things for my jeep, one is to paint it as my paint looks like hell and is scratched/fading in a lot of places. Would i kill myself if i tried to rattle can or should i just spray it with a gun? I have a compressor i would just need a gun.

Thinking of this color which is a krylon color, I want da bling not da blah
167555_1675366977635_1641283305_1532595_6676129_n.jpg

On my list of to-do things for my jeep, one is to paint it as my paint looks like hell and is scratched/fading in a lot of places. Would i kill myself if i tried to rattle can or should i just spray it with a gun? I have a compressor i would just need a gun.

Thinking of this color which is a krylon color, I want da bling not da blah
167555_1675366977635_1641283305_1532595_6676129_n.jpg
i would buy a paint gun and do it, there are some other things you need other than JUST a paint gun, but in the end it would probably be cheaper because to paint a whole truck with spray paint would get pricey quick.... if you want more info just let me know and i can pretty well walk you through the whole process.