Fuel pump problems

So my jeep needs a fuel pump had it tested today, and its getting worse. Driving down the road you can hit the gas and it stumbles. I have seen the airtex what most parts stores carry for $199 or so. Everyone says they are crap. Napa carries a oem for $220. Or I could buy a top of the line Bosch for $350+. My stock pump lasted 13 years so the debate is which one I should go for im cheap, but I dont really want to have to do it a sec time since its in the tank. Are their any other pumps out their?

I've got a Carter NIB sitting in my garage now. Make me an offer.

Btw, it's the whole module and not just the pump itself.

Last edited:
I've hooked up a few aftermarket inline pumps when I had the YJ with a fuel cell. One was an Airtex E8248 and an E2000. Very easy to hook up but time consuming to get right. Just as much money on high pressure fuel line, filters, etc. as it is in the pump. Don't think I'd go that route again unless I had too.

Get one from the junkyard to get by...

how does Carter compare to airtex/oem/napa/ the other brands. Are there any to stay away from? I see perhaps stay away from airtex. Any reasons?

I've had good luck with Carter myself. 12 years in the car biz and when a customer couldn't afford an OEM pump we'd use a Carter. 0 failures to my knowledge. I've put one in my YJ, my TJ, and bought one for my XJ but never used it.

Last edited:
I had to buy one recently for my jeep I forget what brand but the first one I bought leaked so I had to replace it. I bought it from advanced but I can't remember the name off the top of my head.