Lower control arms for TJ

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm obviously in the market to upgrade my rear lower control arms. When I got it, it already had some Procomp LCA's on the front. They are not straight (by design) but looking at the Rubicon Express ones, they are straight with the offset ends on them. Other than my experience so far with the Procomps, what are your thoughts on these two products and any other brand I should be looking at?

If you're going to run pre made short arms then I would run the rokmen arms. I wouldn't mess with pro crap or RE anymore, especially since transamerica runs both pro com and RE now. A local option would be ironman4x4, you can check them out on nc4x4. or if you are so inclined you can just fab your own out of some 2" .250 wall DOM with some Johnny joints and inserts. This way if you wanted to go with long arms down the road, if not now, then you can at least reuse the Johnny joints.

If you're going to run pre made short arms then I would run the rokmen arms. I wouldn't mess with pro crap or RE anymore, especially since transamerica runs both pro com and RE now. A local option would be ironman4x4, you can check them out on nc4x4. or if you are so inclined you can just fab your own out of some 2" .250 wall DOM with some Johnny joints and inserts. This way if you wanted to go with long arms down the road, if not now, then you can at least reuse the Johnny joints.
I would agree with building some as well. They are easy to build once you get the parts together.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Haven't done anything yet. Parked it Saturday night and haven't touched it. Will be moving shop to gville next week (in Ohio this weekend). Once shop is setup I plan to do a good inspection of the damage and order parts accordingly. I have a hard time believing that the lca is the only thin that needs repair. The way it was twisted up there has to be other fixes needed. We'll see.

If I want to build my own, where is a good place to get the parts?

I would buy your johnnys straight from Currie. I used to get my jamb nuts and inserts from ballistic, but I would try somewhere else now, their Customer Service has dropped off. Maybe try Barnes4wd or Artec industries.

I would use Ironman4x4fab in a heartbeat. I know Andy and have had his help on my Jeep build many times. He stands behind his product and is one hell of a nice guy. My opnion is biased but I cannot think of anyone that I have seen with his products complain about anything. http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/ It's worth the time to call him or at least look into his stuff.

I would use Ironman4x4fab in a heartbeat. I know Andy and have had his help on my Jeep build many times. He stands behind his product and is one hell of a nice guy. My opnion is biased but I cannot think of anyone that I have seen with his products complain about anything. http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/ It's worth the time to call him or at least look into his stuff.
I can see someone that cant build stuff buy his arms, they look very nice. But if you can weld you can make control arms.

his dual JJ arms list for $379.

To build your own you would be at:

(4) Johnny joints $180
(2) jamb nuts $10
(2) inserts $20
2 feet of DOM $20
Welding wire/gas $20

Total $250

and you can reuse the johnnys when you go to longarms

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I know I'm a beginner at this stuff and when I go to Currie's site to order Johnny Joints it become glaringly obvious. There are so many sizes and such. Can someone please help me out with what part numbers that would be right for my application in this case. Johnny Joint, Insert, and whatever else I would need.

You round tube and order your inserts, and tube if you don't have a local vendor, from Barnes 4wd. They are in NC so you usually get your order within 24-48 hours and they'll ship any length of tube you want.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Got everything in yesterday. (ordered on Saturday, received Tuesday) Packaged nicely. I got a stock control arm from Brooks and I'm going to put that on for now while I practice my welding. Here are some shots of the new stuff next to the stock piece. The DOM tube in the picture is 2 feet long. So you can see how little of it will be needed for each arm. (And YES, my workbench is orange .... Go TIGERS!!)