Moab trip need help/advice

Hello gang,

My wife and I are planning a six week trip out west, next May. The trip will include, but is not limited to: The Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, Lake Powell, and will end with two weeks in Moab. We will be driving the XJ the entire way and it will be loaded down with all of our equipment. This is where we need help: equipment choice.

We have been on countless camping trips, but never for this long. With the length and nature of the trip in mind, we have started the arduous process of selecting equipment to take with us. So far we have updated our trusty old Coleman tent to a 10' x 10' Kodiak Canvas flex bow, and purchased an ARB awning for the Jeep. We had the pleasure of testing these new items out on a quick, last minute, camping trip last weekend. Both items turned out to be great purchases! On this trip we realized that our old sleeping arrangements, among other things, are overdue for a change.

Previously, we would carry some nice warm blankets and one of those corrugated foam mats that goes on top of mattresses. We loved this arrangement when we were younger, but decided that we needed something nicer. So, we purchased a couple of air mattresses -both of which had mysterious holes after the first trip out. This leads us back to square one. I think that sleeping bags are going to be the newest addition, but I am at a loss for what we should place under them. It needs to be inexpensive and easy to pack/unpack since we will be changing camp sites quite often. Another short coming is our food storage.

We currently have an old 50qt Igloo that has done a decent job of keeping our food and drinks at a reasonable temperature. However, the ice doesn't last very long and when we take our long trip, I don't want to be a slave to keeping ice in the cooler. This leads me to the next question for you guys, what coolers are you guys using, and what do you like, or what don't you like about it? We plan to carry a 50qt to keep at base camp, and one smaller one to carry in the Jeep so that we can carry food and drinks with us while exploring. The 50qt needs to keep ice as long as possible, and the Jeep cooler needs to be able to seal so that water doesn't spill all over us when we are climbing obstacles. I think this covers our camping needs. The next bit of advice needed addresses the Jeep itself. But first, a little about myself, for reference purposes.

I have an extensive background as an automotive technician. I have worked at an Acura dealer, where I also attended Honda School in Alpharetta, GA. And I spent the seven years prior to going back to school as a Porsche technician at a prominent race shop where I also worked on the pit crew (car #14) as a tire changer/mechanic in the GrandAm racing series. So I know how to work a wrench, mig welder, etc. But, I have zero experience with live axles, and only slightly more experience with automatic transmissions. Now that you know everything you ever didn't want to know about me, I need your help.

As I stated above, I have zero experience with live axles, but I know that there is a list of items that one must carry with them when wheeling, especially in remote areas. Here is the run down on what I have: 1998 XJ, AW4/D30HP/8.25. I have a a DOM track bar with larger tierods, ZJ draglink and rod end, and RE HD track bar. I also have a custom long arm arrangement with RE SuperFlex joints. Now for the question, what spares do I need? Please use laymen terms as I probably won't know what you are talking about otherwise. :confused:

I still need a ton of parts such as rock sliders (I prefer to make some, but I don't have access to a welder ATM); I need to wire up my roof and rock lights; install my rear Aussie locker; repair a leaky trans cooler line at the radiator; find the cause and a solution for the popping sound coming from my steering box; clearance the subframe so that the shackles can move; possibly shorten the JKS sway bar quick disconnects or do some grinding for clearance (went from 7.5 to 3.5" springs); do something about the bump stops in the front; figure out how to install my factory t-case shifter (the previous owner had an ATLAS and welded a plate in the factory location; replace ALL my u-joints, wheel bearings, and axle seals. I think that pretty much covers it. If anyone feels as though they might like to help with any of this madness, please let me know. My wife and I are both college students, so we are pretty broke, but I can pay you in your favorite beverage.

Cheers,
Brandon

Hey man, I didnt get a chance to read your whole deal above but I will when I get off work. Just wanted to say that I will be in Moab last week in May if your looking for someone to hit a trail with.

For the cooler thing, do a google search for "Edgestar fridge". Apparently a semi-reasonable priced 12v fridge with pretty good reviews. I'm planning on procuring one in a couple of months.

Dunno about anyone else, but for some reason, out west, brake failure seems to be abundant. So I would say at least bleed your brakes and check for rubbing and whatnot. Loosing brakes definitely brings the depression.

From my research, the weather there can be violent and change quickly. Wind, hail, amazing sunshine, snow, locusts, etc all in the same day. Well, maybe not all in the same day but it can change rapidly. Never really seen that here on the east coast so I'd say just prepare for that.

A lot of people now are carrying a "SPOT" device. It basically tracks your progress and posts it on the internet. Also can send out an SOS. Don't probably need it, however it would be awesome to have.

Hey man, I didnt get a chance to read your whole deal above but I will when I get off work. Just wanted to say that I will be in Moab last week in May if your looking for someone to hit a trail with.
That sounds great! I think that will be our first weekend in Moab. It would be a very big bonus to have someone to wheel with.

For the cooler thing, do a google search for "Edgestar fridge". Apparently a semi-reasonable priced 12v fridge with pretty good reviews. I'm planning on procuring one in a couple of months.

Dunno about anyone else, but for some reason, out west, brake failure seems to be abundant. So I would say at least bleed your brakes and check for rubbing and whatnot. Loosing brakes definitely brings the depression.

From my research, the weather there can be violent and change quickly. Wind, hail, amazing sunshine, snow, locusts, etc all in the same day. Well, maybe not all in the same day but it can change rapidly. Never really seen that here on the east coast so I'd say just prepare for that.

A lot of people now are carrying a "SPOT" device. It basically tracks your progress and posts it on the internet. Also can send out an SOS. Don't probably need it, however it would be awesome to have.
You are right about that refrigerator, it is very reasonably priced. Unfortunately, it's out of our budget and won't really fit our needs. I have read that the weather can be quite unpredictable. We will be very careful. As far as the SPOT device, I have been discussing the option of getting one of these with the wife, it would be a great emergency back up, and would allow our family and friends to track our progress. Maybe I will luck out and find a deal on a used one -who knows.

Hello gang,

My wife and I are planning a six week trip out west, next May. The trip will include, but is not limited to: The Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, Lake Powell, and will end with two weeks in Moab. We will be driving the XJ the entire way and it will be loaded down with all of our equipment. This is where we need help: equipment choice.

We have been on countless camping trips, but never for this long. With the length and nature of the trip in mind, we have started the arduous process of selecting equipment to take with us. So far we have updated our trusty old Coleman tent to a 10' x 10' Kodiak Canvas flex bow, and purchased an ARB awning for the Jeep. We had the pleasure of testing these new items out on a quick, last minute, camping trip last weekend. Both items turned out to be great purchases! On this trip we realized that our old sleeping arrangements, among other things, are overdue for a change.

Previously, we would carry some nice warm blankets and one of those corrugated foam mats that goes on top of mattresses. We loved this arrangement when we were younger, but decided that we needed something nicer. So, we purchased a couple of air mattresses -both of which had mysterious holes after the first trip out. This leads us back to square one. I think that sleeping bags are going to be the newest addition, but I am at a loss for what we should place under them. It needs to be inexpensive and easy to pack/unpack since we will be changing camp sites quite often. Another short coming is our food storage.

We currently have an old 50qt Igloo that has done a decent job of keeping our food and drinks at a reasonable temperature. However, the ice doesn't last very long and when we take our long trip, I don't want to be a slave to keeping ice in the cooler. This leads me to the next question for you guys, what coolers are you guys using, and what do you like, or what don't you like about it? We plan to carry a 50qt to keep at base camp, and one smaller one to carry in the Jeep so that we can carry food and drinks with us while exploring. The 50qt needs to keep ice as long as possible, and the Jeep cooler needs to be able to seal so that water doesn't spill all over us when we are climbing obstacles. I think this covers our camping needs. The next bit of advice needed addresses the Jeep itself. But first, a little about myself, for reference purposes.

I have an extensive background as an automotive technician. I have worked at an Acura dealer, where I also attended Honda School in Alpharetta, GA. And I spent the seven years prior to going back to school as a Porsche technician at a prominent race shop where I also worked on the pit crew (car #14) as a tire changer/mechanic in the GrandAm racing series. So I know how to work a wrench, mig welder, etc. But, I have zero experience with live axles, and only slightly more experience with automatic transmissions. Now that you know everything you ever didn't want to know about me, I need your help.

As I stated above, I have zero experience with live axles, but I know that there is a list of items that one must carry with them when wheeling, especially in remote areas. Here is the run down on what I have: 1998 XJ, AW4/D30HP/8.25. I have a a DOM track bar with larger tierods, ZJ draglink and rod end, and RE HD track bar. I also have a custom long arm arrangement with RE SuperFlex joints. Now for the question, what spares do I need? Please use laymen terms as I probably won't know what you are talking about otherwise. :confused:

I still need a ton of parts such as rock sliders (I prefer to make some, but I don't have access to a welder ATM); I need to wire up my roof and rock lights; install my rear Aussie locker; repair a leaky trans cooler line at the radiator; find the cause and a solution for the popping sound coming from my steering box; clearance the subframe so that the shackles can move; possibly shorten the JKS sway bar quick disconnects or do some grinding for clearance (went from 7.5 to 3.5" springs); do something about the bump stops in the front; figure out how to install my factory t-case shifter (the previous owner had an ATLAS and welded a plate in the factory location; replace ALL my u-joints, wheel bearings, and axle seals. I think that pretty much covers it. If anyone feels as though they might like to help with any of this madness, please let me know. My wife and I are both college students, so we are pretty broke, but I can pay you in your favorite beverage.

Cheers,
Brandon
For Sleeping bags, my wife and I got a kelty double sleeping bag and it really helps with cold nights holding heat in, and you only have to roll up and pack one bag. Kelty and a few other manufactuers make double sized ground pads and that would again simplify your packing.

Food storage has become a side job of mine and something i enjoy doing when we are packing. I use the "lock and lock" containers for anything that you dont want getting water logged. This keeps all of your food in good shape when your ice melts.

Now as for Ice. I have had great luck buying a block of dry ice, wrapping it in cheese cloth and a putting it in the bottom of the cooloer, then put some ice down, then put your food in, then put more ice on. This method will hold ice the longest I have found even with a semi decent cooler. The key to keeping your ice is not opening your cooler unless you have to and keeping it out of the sun.