Spares inventory

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Looking for advise on what I should carry on board as spares. You can see my build here. All I currently carry is a spare u-joint, locking hub and spare tire.

Some thoughts:
  • u-joint for front axle (the one at the knuckle)
  • axle shafts? outer/inner?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The easy way for trail repair is carry complete shafts so you can swap quickly without changing joints and smashing you finger with a big hammer. If you break a front u-joint there's a good chance of tearing up the ears on the shafts so you'll need them anyway.

Before I had full spares I carried two axle joints, two driveshaft joints, and u-joint straps.

Last edited:
I carry a spare rear Driveshaft as well as spare front shafts, but I usually leave them at camp. I only bring the spare fronts when i think there is a possiblity I might break and not be able to wheel the next day.

I carry enough Power steering fluid to refill my system from empty, 1 quart of oil, 1 quart of tranny fluid, 1 quart of gear oil.

spare yoke straps for the front axle, and spare cv bolts for the front or rear driveshaft to Tcase.

I bring that stuff everywhere I go.

if you bring spare shafts they will either need to be the warn outers, or you will need to bring a spare unit bearing as well. which you can get from your old axle.

I have spare front, rear axles, joints, rear DS, and all the tools I need. I usually carry the short rear axle, since it will work in both sides, and a plug for the front axle tube, because I can just run one axle with the lockers if need be, and if a drive shaft breaks I can remove it and limp home on just the front.
Once I get my trailer built I will likely carry all my spares, and a few specialty tools. The big thing I want to be able to carry is one of the pop up tents, and a sealed oil pan, along with enough fluids to do diffs, trans, or oil related repairs. It will be nice to bust something, throw up the tent over the jeep, and do my repAir out of the weather.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I looked at the specs on my front axle and it says that it has the Warn hub conversion kit and Warn Chromoloy Inner Shafts. Am I to assume that the outer shafts are Chromoloy too? Is that part of the hub conversion kit?

I looked at the specs on my front axle and it says that it has the Warn hub conversion kit and Warn Chromoloy Inner Shafts. Am I to assume that the outer shafts are Chromoloy too? Is that part of the hub conversion kit?
yes, the outers are warn chromoly that come with the kit

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have no experience in what it takes to break an axle shaft. How many chromo's have you guys seen break over the years (8.8 or d30). Is that what I need to worry about or is the fail point something else.

I blasted through my OE front axles like butter.
I have learned that a decent set of chromo axles is a good investment, just don't go overboard with unbreakable ujoints. You want the joint to be your weak point. It's easy to change a joint, but expensive to replace the ears on shafts.

I carry a rear DS 2 qt's gear oil, 4 qt's oil, 2 qt's ps fluid, and 2 qts atf. I have a rubbermain tub in the back of the xj right next to the tool box from sears. As for D30 shafts if you have the warn conversion I woudl not worry unless you have tires bigger then 35's and low lowrange. It has been my experience that the d30 with an alloy shaft can take a beating up to 35's.

I have no experience in what it takes to break an axle shaft. How many chromo's have you guys seen break over the years (8.8 or d30). Is that what I need to worry about or is the fail point something else.
your hubs should break before the shafts

and your rear chromos in the 8.8 should be good up to 37s

your weak link will be drivshafts and hubs

You're gonna want to carry spare everything if you want to continue wheeling a street driven rig. A spare rear ds and rear shafts are a must to get home. I've been wheeling a street driven rig for years, so has brooks and several others. Of all the crazy stuff I've done over the years I've only been on a towtruck once. Learn your rig and understand the consequences of your driving style and go from there.

Here's another tip I'll give you... a rear bearing is a PITA to deal with when it goes out. Carry a full set of spare shafts with good bearings you can swap in quickly. The bearings are pressed on so unless you have a bench press its very hared to change one out. Found this out the hard way at River Rock GA.

Here's another tip I'll give you... a rear bearing is a PITA to deal with when it goes out. Carry a full set of spare shafts with good bearings you can swap in quickly. The bearings are pressed on so unless you have a bench press its very hared to change one out. Found this out the hard way at River Rock GA.
thats not the case in c-clip axles like the 8.8s we run

You're gonna want to carry spare everything if you want to continue wheeling a street driven rig. A spare rear ds and rear shafts are a must to get home. I've been wheeling a street driven rig for years, so has brooks and several others. Of all the crazy stuff I've done over the years I've only been on a towtruck once. Learn your rig and understand the consequences of your driving style and go from there.
Really good advice here.