Android version tablets reviews?

looking at getting a tablet PC. Looking for any input on any of the non-ipad android version tablets.

Who has one? what Brand .. like it?

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The nook is not a full android device. I do believe it runs a limited version called Honeycomb. But there are articles out there on how to hack the device to make it run the full version and have access to the android market and all.

Honeycomb is the Tablet version of the Android OS. It is a bad *** OS, but the Nook has been ripped to shreds by Barnes and Noble to make it work proprietary. IT is simple to root though and put on a real Honeycomb Android OS. That being said, What is your budget, and screen size wish?

In the 10" screen market, the Samsung Galaxy Tab is a nice Tablet, However, I am partial to the ASUS Transformer. The Motorola Xoom is the only Official Honeycomb running Tablet I know of right now, but almost all of these are rootable, and can have any version you wish in a matter of minutes of search Google.

In the 7" market, I like the VIzion based on its price. For roughly $249 bucks the tablet is awesome. However, Kindle Flame is supposed to be coming out in November, and is also a 7" full android tablet with dual core processors. At $199, I think it will be hard to beat. I am putting my name down now for two. Given the popularity of the Kindle, it will not be long before it is rooted.

tablet

after hauling around a hp laptop with a 15.6" screen in my book bag for 2 years.. I'm thinking smaller 7" is better.. but to be honest haven't even really spent time at the stores playing with them in regards to the different sizes and resolutions etc. need to though.

loved my otterbox and would love to find one that has an otterbox already for it .. I think otterbox has them for both xoom and the samsung already..

I really like the samsung in the 10" size. It is clean looking, and performs well. I would love to have one myself if it wasnt for the price tag. You should look at the ASUS transformer. It is pretty badass.

After Looking at the Kindle Fire, it looks like it is running a highly modified Android OS. One so modified it does not have the Google Market, only the amazon. While this is not a huge deal, it is something to consider in the price. I think I am going to wait to see how difficult it is to root. If it is not to bad, I will grab one and throw HoneyComb or IceCream on it.

we watched a video on rooting andrea's nook last night, its not to hard at all. and you get a full android OS. we just need to get a micro SD card.

yeah...rooting is pretty simple. When a new device comes out, it can be hard due to having to back door it through command prompts, but once it has been out a while (read 2 weeks or so), there are usually one click root methods available.

I'm hoping to make it to Best Buy in a couple of days to look at some Tablets. From what I've seen, tablets make travel a lot easier and more comfortable, especially when the flight lasts longer than 4 hours!

Dumb question: What is rooting and why would I want to do this?

The amazon Fire-thing is kinda appealing to me. $80 a year gets me the amazon-marketplace-thingie so movie and TV show downloads. Cheaper than a netflix subscription and probably does the same thing.

Rooting an Android device gives you the ability to add a custom recovery to the device allowing customized OS versions other than what originally came on the device. In the case of the Amazon Fire, I may not be a fan of the Amazon heavily influenced version of Android, or I might want to put a newer version of android on the device, so I would root it allowing me to do just about anything. Think of it as bypassing a BIOS password on a PC so you can remove Windows 98, and upgrade to Windows 7.

I just got my Kindle Fire (early Christmas gift), and it is awsome. I had it rooted in about 3 min, and had all the stripped google apps back on including the Google market.

Fast, seems tough, and the screen is awesome. 1080p videos are smooth as silk. For $199, it is a powerhouse. I know it only has 8gb ram, but with the Amazon cloud storage, it doesnt make a difference to me.

And if you have amazon prime membership, you get free movies and TV rentals as well as a book a month from the kindle store. Its a great deal!