Finally put an end to my steering problems

Set the castor at 6* and finally got the toe in to 1/8" and it drives much better. Steers great without the wheel spacers too. now if I can just get the jam nuts loose on my drag link I could straighten my steering wheel...:grin:

i have filed out the 4 keys on the pitman arm so its clocked to be centered. but i cant use all of my steering anyways. With the TJ pitman arm and my high steer arm it steers to full lock, which I cant use due to my tires rubbing the control arms.

i'm thinking I must have loc-tighted this damn jam nut on...its crazy tight.

if I could just get rid of this gear whine and paint my doors it would a respectable daily driver again :grinpimp:

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
That's unbelievable. I don't even know what to say about that. I just can't understand how someone can waste your time like that.

Unfortunately that type of service is all too common.

I had a contact at a dealership that I tried to use to borrow an inch pound dial indicator torque wrench to set my pinion pre-load. He asked the gear guys and they apparently don't use one, they just do it by "feel"........so I just bought my own....

Brooks where did you get it done at? I think its about time you stepped up to the plate and gave gear installs a go. I have an 8.8 you can practice on too.

Brooks where did you get it done at? I think its about time you stepped up to the plate and gave gear installs a go. I have an 8.8 you can practice on too.
i didnt do it myself because it is my dd and I wanted it to be done right...when i finally get my shop together I plan to get more of the tools required and learn.

As money becomes available...shop around. Some of the simple stuff, calipers, dial indicator, etc... can be purchased through discount chains. Provided you don't let the kids play with them or toss them around they work just fine. Other tools such as the dial indicator torque wrench and differential bearing removal tool can be found a tprices considerably cheaper than the Differential and 4x4 store sources. You would be amazed at what you can find on Amazon and Ebay. There is a lot of good literature available on the web, I was able to pull Dana Spicer axle service manuals off of Spicer's website. There is no majic in the maunals, they're very clear..to increase backlash do this, to decrease pinion depth do this, very straight forward. I am no pro, expert etc...not even close. I just got tired of the run-around and crappy workmanship. The investment wasn't all that much, especially if I spread it out over a couple of pay days, cheaped out where I could.....blah blah I am sure you get my point.